Shifter Peg Adjustment on R3 Classic for my toe

Raymond... I think Smitty likes his floorboards OK, he just can't get his toe under the lever cause his feet are large and that's the way he likes to shift. Hey Smitty... did ya ever own a Harley :D ? My next door neighbor who has a VTX and a Goldwong had to have some custom shift pegs made up at a machine shop, the poor guy has a replacement hip and he can't keep his foot at the required angle to use the shifter... if he does his leg cramps up real bad. The custom shift pegs look almost stock.

Yes I adjusted for my big ole foot and is fine. I am sticking with the foot boards. And Tom, the Softail Deuce is for sale! I am done with HD. They irritated me once too many times!

G-smitty

Switched to floorboards and now have trouble fitting my 13's under the shifter. When Rivco completes the re-engineering of their heel/toe shifter I will gladly purchase it, and be done with big foot issues.:) I've used heel /toe in the past and really liked it!

:) I switched from pegs to boards and found it much more comfortable for longer distances....The heel/toe rocker shift works just fine and of course you don't have to scuff up your boots with your toe under the shifter.....It is not an easy switch to go from pegs to boards and back again as there are different bars that mount to the engine and a different rear brake line to install .....

My 2 cents

My last bike had Boards and I liked the fact you can just relax and move your foot aroud. As far as being slower to shift I don't know about that I could get threw the gears mitty fast with my heel. I also am going to be switching to Boads Raymond, not only for me but also for the little women on the back.

Really torn on this one. I have pegs and thought I wanted floorboards. On long trips pegs don't work for me, but around town prefer the pegs. I need to ride one with floorboards. Deje Vu, I think we have had this discussion before.

Shift Pedal Clearance Solution

SO I have my new R3 Classic in Jet Black/Sunset Red- oh she's a beaut!
Anyways, I have 12" clod-hoppers and hope to adjust the peg up enough to get my toe under.
Anyone else adjust? and are you happy?
Contemplating going with pegs
Thanks
g-smitty

I too have some big clodhopper feet (boots), you may find that pegs won't help the situation much. I have the same problem you do. Here is my solution.... Get a pair of big'ol steel toed boots with a good thick sole that protrudes slightly out from the boot leather. I no longer ever put my toe under the shifter peg - I just "hook" it with the protruding sole of my boot to shift. This actually requires less foot / ankle movement and once you're used to it you'll forget you ever put your toe under the shifter pedal.

Really torn on this one. I have pegs and thought I wanted floorboards. On long trips pegs don't work for me, but around town prefer the pegs. I need to ride one with floorboards. Deje Vu, I think we have had this discussion before.

Raymond,
Switching from peg to board requires one bolt each side, so two bolts total. Should not be a big deal to switch back and forth and may solve your problem. I am using Rivco boards so no brake line issues with my 2005 Rocket.

Pegs or Floorboards

It has been said: there are definite benefits of floorboards. I have 'em; and, from time to time I find myself thinking pegs. But, the feeling goes away. I am slowing down after-all. Pegs definitely have a place in the twisties. They are advantgeous for weight shifting; specifically forward control mounting. Not too distant from countersteering. When/if I strip the Tourer down to "Special" or base level I'll go to pegs. I've leaned away from peg dragging since the last spill. And the wifey doesn't like it either.

Last edited:
Back