Secondary Butterfly Questions

This weekend I am going put the stock tune in with the Tune ECU with the secondaries open 100%, reset the TPS and see the difference, my Roadster in 100% stock.
Will post the results.

I would think that if you tell the ECU to open the secondaries 100% then it should know to supply the correct fuel mixture assuming the map installed is the right one. The mixture going lean would be from the ECU thinking there are secondary butterflies installed and that they are only partially opened when in fact if they are removed and it is flowing too much air for the amount of gas being injected.

The only areas the ECU trims the fueling is when it is closed loop, which is a small area of the A/F map and then it gets trimmed to 14.75 to 1. All other areas are based solely on the numbers in the fuel tables. So you could expect it to run lean when the secondaries are open 100% or removed when in open loop.

It is true that the way Triumph tunes for the TOR and aftermarket pipe tunes is to close the secondaries further. The fuel tables for the maps are exactly the same. So you are actually losing power with those tunes if the secondaries are left in. The numbers represent % open.

Here is the base map secondaries:

Here is the TOR tune secondaries:

Interesting discussion.

I planned to reinstall my secondaries for another reason. Without the secondaries I get a chirping noise during the excellartion. It's a nontypical sound for a motorcycle and I dont like it at all.

think if I will correct the secondaries I have still the possiblitie with TunECU.

But to learn that is eventually consuming power - well thats different to all what I read before.

I will keep a eye to this particular thread.

Secondaries removal DIY

I got the same chirping sound when I installed my triple K&Ns. When I started this thread it was before tuneboy was release and one of the only performance mods was to remove the secondaries. I think that time has proven that the only purpose they serve is to limit power and make allowances for TORs and other aftermarket pipes.

This weekend I am going put the stock tune in with the Tune ECU with the secondaries open 100%, reset the TPS and see the difference, my Roadster in 100% stock.
Will post the results.

I predict that you won't notice much in 4th or 5th gears but in 1st-3rd the throttle will feel a little more responsive and "snatchy."

I will load the stock tune with the secondaries 100% open form the Tune ECU site shortly then down load into my ECU but one thing I have not been able to do is turn on the cooling fan with the mouse when in test mode like in the video, Can someone explain that.

After some playing around I worked out the correct process for reseting the TPS and got the cooling fan to start up duting the test mode.

Right, I loaded the map 20352-2 which is a stock map with the secondaries opened 100%, the TPS light did not change from green so I could not do the TPS reset.
The throttle balance when at running temp was cyl 1 - 640, cyl 2- 650, cyl 3 - 620, they were all the same when cold.
Should I have reset the adaption

Went for a 20 km ride down the highway then a few kms around the streets. I had not ridden the bike for a week, but I felt is was better and smoother from low RPM, I am sure it had a lot more decel popping.

Tomorrow I will be ridding into the city so I will get a better feel for any changes.

I think that time has proven that the only purpose they serve is to limit power and make allowances for TORs and other aftermarket pipes.

So does that mean, if you are running TORs or aftermarket pipes with one of the stock TORs tunes, having the secs enabled is beneficial with respect to not running too lean? Sorry if I'm still not totally clear on this.

I don't think you are going to do any damage with the stock intake setup, but yes it would be leaner. You are better off installing a PC or loading a Tuneboy or TuneEcu tune for your set up.

When I first bought my 05' standard I thought I got a slug. It would barley lift the front wheel popping the clutch. Then I read about the resister mod that tricks the ecu into thinking it's always in forth gear. The first time I took it out and floored it I about went over backwards. I couldn't believe the difference and that was still running the Triumph tors tune. After I got the tuneboy and removed the secondary plates altogether it got even better yet. Even with the secondary's set to 100% they still close down at low speeds and you get a lag as the stepper motor opens them to 100%. I love the brutal, out of control feeling you get with the secondary's removed. If you guys aren't noticing a massive improvement with them removed you ain't turnin' the throttle far enough !

Ok pig9r, so with my current setup of stock pipes, cat bypass and underseat K&N, I'm running oem classic tune 20020 but I've got the secs set at 100% across the board--am I running too lean? That was my original question and I really appreciate the benefit of your experience in this subject.

Back