future r-3 performance upgrade questions

doncuddy

soberdude
Ride
2006 Triumph Rocket Classic
Considering future performance upgrades and have a few questions for the community...1) triple K+N vs Ramair--members preferences and why? one better than the other? 2) Cat Box removal--can the cross over pipe be used with stock pipes if I'm not ready to buy new ones, or is it dumb to do this since they are so restricted? better to wait til I can afford less restricted TORS or others? 3)Headers---see a lot of posts about installing new headers..dumb question--if the diameter of the exhaust ports on the engine is set--then how exactly do new headers improve performance--ie outflow of exhaust-even if their diameter is greater? or do they just look nice? any info is appreciated so I can make informed decisions when the time comes--hopefully this spring.....don

Hey Don, can't speak to the ram air but I have run K&N filters and Piper Cross which is like the ram air style So I figure the ram air is fine also. when it comes to pipes you first need to figure out whether your going to stay will the three pipe look or not. If so and you can find or have a set of TORS I would add the three pipe cat delete as you will notice more. This does not mean you can't add the TORS first as your cat box is empty but you would gain a wee bit more power and sound without it. The newer Roadster went to two cans which could be added to yours with a little bit of mounting work but I doubt it is any more the the TORS even the two pipe tors. Any exhaust after that will cost if you don't mind dual's you might find a set of Jardines pop up for sale on fleebay every now and then.
Now as for how the headers change with the ports being the same besides the air flow ability the exhaust port in the head push into a pipe do you want them to push into a restricted pipe the size of a garden hose or maybe something larger :)

Hey Don, can't speak to the ram air but I have run K&N filters and Piper Cross which is like the ram air style So I figure the ram air is fine also. when it comes to pipes you first need to figure out whether your going to stay will the three pipe look or not. If so and you can find or have a set of TORS I would add the three pipe cat delete as you will notice more. This does not mean you can't add the TORS first as your cat box is empty but you would gain a wee bit more power and sound without it. The newer Roadster went to two cans which could be added to yours with a little bit of mounting work but I doubt it is any more the the TORS even the two pipe tors. Any exhaust after that will cost if you don't mind dual's you might find a set of Jardines pop up for sale on fleebay every now and then.
Now as for how the headers change with the ports being the same besides the air flow ability the exhaust port in the head push into a pipe do you want them to push into a restricted pipe the size of a garden hose or maybe something larger :)
Thanks for your input warp 9.9...what is the piper cross? will consider going to 2 pipes...do you have upgraded headers on your rocket?

Hey Don...Headers will make the gases "Freeflow" and there are a number of different styles and makes too choose from including those from Paul Bryant, a member here...he makes a real nice header/exhaust system.
I run triple K&N's now but did have "Ramair" on my previous R3....its a matter of what you like the look of IMO as they both do a great job of getting air directly into the throttle bodies.
I'm pretty sure your bike will have the cats within the muffler due to its year of manufacture. The later R3's dont. The crossover or cat delete may make the gases flow better but really come into there own when you change the cans. I have Jardines now but had TORS and cat delete prior. Once again, it comes down to what you like the look of along with the sound they make. I really like the Jardine headers and cans over the stock headers,crossover and TORS...Good luck trying to find Jardines tho...Hope this helps a bit...

Yes i do...nice and snuggly wrapped in my garage..along with all my stock plenums,air filter, seats,handlebars,mirrors...the list is quite long. I tend to keep all this stuff in the "Just in case" corner of my shed. I am not looking to sell anything at this point. If i buy another R3 then i have a choice of bits to put on the old one b4 i sell it...its just what i do...saves me a bit of coin.
If i sell stuff, then i have cash which seems to dissapear quickly leaving me pissed at myself cos i dont have parts or the cash to buy new bits.
Call me a hoarder...others do...

Hey Don...Headers will make the gases "Freeflow" and there are a number of different styles and makes too choose from including those from Paul Bryant, a member here...he makes a real nice header/exhaust system.
I run triple K&N's now but did have "Ramair" on my previous R3....its a matter of what you like the look of IMO as they both do a great job of getting air directly into the throttle bodies.
I'm pretty sure your bike will have the cats within the muffler due to its year of manufacture. The later R3's dont. The crossover or cat delete may make the gases flow better but really come into there own when you change the cans. I have Jardines now but had TORS and cat delete prior. Once again, it comes down to what you like the look of along with the sound they make. I really like the Jardine headers and cans over the stock headers,crossover and TORS...Good luck trying to find Jardines tho...Hope this helps a bit...
thanks tal----really appreciate all the helpful info---just curious--whats the approx. cost of jardine headers and exhaust? I do recall paul Bryant quoting approx. $1800 roughly for his complete system...ps--is your rocket turbo'd? don

No, not turbo'd...she goes along ok as it is for me. I managed to get my Jardine headers from one of our fellow forum members in Aussie. He shipped them out to me here in NZ. My good cobber down the road had the Jardine cans which he let me have and i got the whole lot ceramic coated. I saved a whole lot of money by doing it this way, plus you can't buy them new anymore as they have stopped making them. Some folk on this forum say the Jardines are only soso for performance and i guess thats true when you compare them to Carpenter or Pauls system, but i like them for the looks and sound...There is an improvement in performance over the stock headers and TORS for sure tho.
I wouldnt let the price of Pauls affect your decision because you will just love the bike with those improvements.Just keep putting the money aside and you will be happy you did...
Someone who has Carpenter system or Pauls System or any other system will let you know what they think of theirs i'm sure...just do the research first while you are putting the coin aside..

Thanks for your input warp 9.9...what is the piper cross? will consider going to 2 pipes...do you have upgraded headers on your rocket?
The piper cross is another company that make foam filters. I had the ability to make a base so it would fit the rocket. I do rum afyer market 3-1 exhaust on both my bikes.

P3150080.jpg

On my NA bike I am running the 4040 K&N filters.

20170716_125647.jpg

The piper cross is another company that make foam filters. I had the ability to make a base so it would fit the rocket. I do rum afyer market 3-1 exhaust on both my bikes.

P3150080.jpg

On my NA bike I am running the 4040 K&N filters.

20170716_125647.jpg
I like the look of the k+n filters--and the 3 into 1 pipe look as well..I assume the cat box is removed? how much improvement to performance do you notice? ps--what is the silver cylinder next to your oil tank? don

Back