Second Gear is GONE

Manic_Mechanic

Turbocharged
Ride
05 Rocket
Well I'm 2 for 2 when it comes to Rockets and Transmission problems. The first was on the 05 with a total trans lockup which darn near killed me. 7 weeks later I bought an 09 and have been driving it for 3 years. Today on the way to work I shifted up into 2nd and NOTHING. It made the usual klunk like it was engaged but NOTHING. Was able to upshift to third, forth and fifth. downshifting was the same. No second gear.
From a complete stop, same thing. It's as if second gear just disappeared.

Mate I can emphasize with you ,I have experienced the Rocket gearbox experience and yesterday rode my old Rocket that my Son had just rebuilt the gearbox /replaced the detent spring and replaced the worn cam chain tensioner with "only" 46000 easy Klms on , and just didn't feel the former love, like a dog that bites you can never trust it again,

Mate I can emphasize with you ,I have experienced the Rocket gearbox experience and yesterday rode my old Rocket that my Son had just rebuilt the gearbox /replaced the detent spring and replaced the worn cam chain tensioner with "only" 46000 easy Klms on , and just didn't feel the former love, like a dog that bites you can never trust it again,

It might be a good excuse to get the 1200 bonnie.

There are lots of Rocket owners who have had a great run out of the bikes and it's only the problem ones we hear about ,owners don't tend to post positive experiences with anything we sort of take it as granted that things should work as designed and don't comment,
unfortunately or fortunately I am at the stage in life where if something mechanical Pi***s me of I just move onto something else ,I looked at the new Bonnie but it was a bit cramped for me, and one ride on the Kawasaki 1400 GTR(Concours) and it was my new ride

Have you still got yours Ken... That detent spring does seem to be a problem , mine went on me just before xmas , lucky enough its not a break the bank job , it only cost about 300 bucks from memory , still not to bad i've done 62000 klm on mine and only had a clutch cable snap , which was my fault i put risers on and not a longer cable , and the detent spring , other than that just tyres , and servicing and brake pads ... But like you i feel the need to move on , i don't use it much anymore ,, Got 2 other bikes and they get used , I seem to use my v strom more than anything ,, trouble is i just can't bring myself to advertize the rocket , every time i pull it out and ride it a think , Naaaw i'm keeping it , i just need someone to knock on the door with cash and beg me to sell it them . great bikes the rockets , but unfortunatly i'm getting older , not stronger and the thing just seems to keep getting heavier and bigger

Have you still got yours Ken... That detent spring does seem to be a problem , mine went on me just before xmas , lucky enough its not a break the bank job , it only cost about 300 bucks from memory , still not to bad i've done 62000 klm on mine and only had a clutch cable snap , which was my fault i put risers on and not a longer cable , and the detent spring , other than that just tyres , and servicing and brake pads ... But like you i feel the need to move on , i don't use it much anymore ,, Got 2 other bikes and they get used , I seem to use my v strom more than anything ,, trouble is i just can't bring myself to advertize the rocket , every time i pull it out and ride it a think , Naaaw i'm keeping it , i just need someone to knock on the door with cash and beg me to sell it them . great bikes the rockets , but unfortunatly i'm getting older , not stronger and the thing just seems to keep getting heavier and bigger

Yes well sort of I gave it to my Eldest Son Free Gratis, after he offered to fix it in his own time I can ride it anytime I like and Yesterday it was ready for a test ride it still clunks into gear and there is lots of mechanical noise going on but it is still an impressive bike ,totally different to the GTR ,I am glad the bike is still in the family and like you was not looking forward to letting it go elsewhere

Bummer to hear that brother. I was moving stuff around the basement and found the remnants of the injectors I bought from you. I'm thinking I need to come back up for another beer...

Well I'm 2 for 2 when it comes to Rockets and Transmission problems. The first was on the 05 with a total trans lockup which darn near killed me. 7 weeks later I bought an 09 and have been driving it for 3 years. Today on the way to work I shifted up into 2nd and NOTHING. It made the usual klunk like it was engaged but NOTHING. Was able to upshift to third, forth and fifth. downshifting was the same. No second gear.
From a complete stop, same thing. It's as if second gear just disappeared.

Sounds like a sudden detent spring failure. I just went through that. Not too bad. Bike came back from repair, much better.
4hrs plus parts job. Good time to inspect components in the front guts of the motor.

Managed to pull a detent spring out of the 05. I feel confident that I can do the swap in the 09.
Going to take clutch pieces into work tomorrow to make a clutch basket removal tool.

Back