Run premium fuel?

Kevin frazier

Widowmaker!
Ride
2008 Triumph rocket 3 touring
#115.....
Ive tried all four US octanes (87, 89, 91, 93) since I too didn't have a clear understanding of what to use. The last two (91/93) are depending upon location of course. The only difference I have noticed is the strength of the gas odor in my garage after riding. The gas smell is much stronger at the higher octanes. AKI 87 produced minimal odor after a ride (if any). 91/93's odor lingered for quite some time. For the before mentioned reason, I now use only 87 and have no problems at all.
Better burn. Not as much unspent fuel

Mighty Mouse

Incredibly handsome.
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket GT
Anyone know or understand the pro's or con's of the 10% ethanol (now that MTBE is gone due to contamination of drinking water) we have here in Suckafornia? It seems to me that this throws a wrench in the 87 vs. 91 octane discussion. I have no idea how this affects the three octanes we have here. Anyone know anything about it? California changes over different gas additives from summer to winter further driving up the price of gas in this ****** ******* state. It's down 10 cents to $4.85.99 today, lets celebrate!!🤬

Wiigit

.040 Over
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
Anyone know or understand the pro's or con's of the 10% ethanol (now that MTBE is gone due to contamination of drinking water) we have here in Suckafornia? It seems to me that this throws a wrench in the 87 vs. 91 octane discussion. I have no idea how this affects the three octanes we have here. Anyone know anything about it? California changes over different gas additives from summer to winter further driving up the price of gas in this ****** ******* state. It's down 10 cents to $4.85.99 today, lets celebrate!!🤬
It's 6.24.59 here on the south west coast of Canada...

Wdugan9080

.060 Over
Ride
2008 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring

WOTYSGTB

Standard Bore
Ride
2022 Triple Black R3GT
We have had 10% - 20% ethanol in Illinois for decades. I will spare you a lengthy read but the short story is ethanol has a lot less negative effect on 4 strokes vs 2 strokes. 2 strokes require a specific ratio for lubrication and cooling while 4 strokes are adjusted via the ECU. This gets even more concerning with temperature changes when running 2 strokes up north but that's a whole other story.

Mighty Mouse

Incredibly handsome.
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket GT
Thanks for the info guys but I was referring to the affect on the starting issues. Most were discussing higher and lower octane and my concern does this stuff have any negative issues when added to gas. I know it's not good to keep it very long in lawn mowers and motorcycle engines due to corrosion problems that the Fed Gov will not admit to but that's what my question was if anyone knows the possible negative side effects if any. Such as corrosion, starting and maybe stalling issues. Thanks for the info guys. :thumbsup:

Wdugan9080

.060 Over
Ride
Thanks for the info guys but I was referring to the affect on the starting issues. Most were discussing higher and lower octane and my concern does this stuff have any negative issues when added to gas. I know it's not good to keep it very long in lawn mowers and motorcycle engines due to corrosion problems that the Fed Gov will not admit to but that's what my question was if anyone knows the possible negative side effects if any. Such as corrosion, starting and maybe stalling issues. Thanks for the info guys. :thumbsup:

Tripps

Retired superhero
Ride
R3T,Sprintona,K1200GT, Blackbird,r/65 hack
Unfortunately, ethanol is hygroscopic , like salt, it will grab atmospheric water any chance it gets. That's why normally the purest alcohol available is 95%, as soon as you crack the seal on 100% alcohol, it's no longer 100% alcohol.

Wdugan9080

.060 Over
Ride
Unfortunately, ethanol is hygroscopic , like salt, it will grab atmospheric water any chance it gets. That's why normally the purest alcohol available is 95%, as soon as you crack the seal on 100% alcohol, it's no longer 100% alcohol.
The only thing I don't get is how does dry gas work, I guess it mixes with the water to help it burn off, cause all it is is alcohol, methal-ethal????