Run premium fuel?

I certainly understand the argument for Triumph whiffing on stating in bold print the exact octane number to use. On my 2005 and 2014 I used 91 even though 87 was the number Triumph recommended for both Rockets. Both ran fantastic on 91. I use 91 on my 2020 and it also runs like a scalded assed ape and I shall continue to use 91. There was zero long term affect on my 05 or 14 Rockets using 91 and I doubt there will be for my 2020 so, 91 it is. Some may say it's wasted money but I say it's my money and I've wasted it in worse ways than on higher octane gas. Don't ask!
I have used as low as 86 on mine, never had a problem!

Can we actually be sure what brand of fuel there is in the pump? In Europe, I've heard rumours that local gas stations often get the fuel from one and the same refinery, so the station sign would not be a guarantee for a certain brand of fuel. But I have no idea if this is true and US is a different market of course.

Regardless of brand of station the gas comes out of the same tank, the additives that make it Brand X are added to the tanker.

Last edited:
Man how many days of research and then email triumph and we're no closer to the truth, now kluven has me doubting the top tier,🤔 I'm so confused. Do we know the guy or gal that made the; I guess statement in the second paragraph of triumph's reply, what position he or she held in the company, hey it could have been the cleaning crew!!! Right 🤔😆🤣😂
What? The truth is clear. In the US with pumps using the Anti Knox Index label, AKI ( all of them), use 87 octane. In other Countries with the Research Octane Number ( Ron) label, use 95. Don't try to convert. Simple. At least that's how I interpret the info.

Last week ran tank of 89, mostly hwy 70-75 with a few hard blasts. 47 mpg. Today ran second tank of 87 same as above, 47 mpg. Since better under same conditions than premium, you know what I think.
Excellent Maurice. I have never seen anything close to 47 mpg but if all is equal I certainly will give 87 a shot. Cool beans.:thumbsup:

Back