Run premium fuel?

That is what I read.
I have no dog in this, just want the truth. Happy to get premium if best for the bike.
Many Premium users just think we are cheap ba$$$cards, convincing themselves even more premium is best.
I'm convinced top tier oil companies are best if you look at the photos of the valves in 4,000 miles on both, no name brands and top oil companies, I always used either Mobil or Sunoco or She'll, no I mostly use BP cause it's got friction fighters and cleansing properties, I've had no problems with carbon buildup, but haven't changed too many plugs in the past 40 years to know for sure, they recommended on most of my vehicles 100,000 miles with the high energy ignitions of today, but you better change the wires too cause by that time with the high energy they are dried out. And whatever the octane rating the manufacturer suggest the motor is set up for is best, but if you start messing with, turbochargers, and higher compression ratios as add-ons you better comsider all the variables, compression, timing, octane.

I'm convinced top tier oil companies are best if you look at the photos of the valves in 4,000 miles on both, no name brands and top oil companies, I always used either Mobil or Sunoco or She'll, no I mostly use BP cause it's got friction fighters and cleansing properties, I've had no problems with carbon buildup, but haven't changed too many plugs in the past 40 years to know for sure, they recommended on most of my vehicles 100,000 miles with the high energy ignitions of today, but you better change the wires too cause by that time with the high energy they are dried out. And whatever the octane rating the manufacturer suggest the motor is set up for is best, but if you start messing with, turbochargers, and higher compression ratios as add-ons you better consider all the variables, compression, timing, octane.
The slower burning fuel would not change the heat in your engine much because while it does burn longer, it isn't as complete of a burn. I think you notice the fuel burning in your exhaust because it is more easily sensed. If the heat output of your engine changed 10% how many of us would even notice it if the vehicle has a good cooling system and we don't have an exact temp readout to document the changes.

I do agree that one should buy fuel from a reputable station. The Consumer Reports article you linked had a huge list of stations they said were top tier. I would bet pretty much all of the household names would fall into top tier. The picture of the valve after 100 hours looks like they ran it on some really horrible fuel or it had a bad oil leak that the fuel didn't clean off.

I wouldn't bother mixing the fuel, if you are concerned about the additives (and with today's fuel I wouldn't worry about it) just alternate where you fill up. The synergistic properties of mixing fuel are gone, though you still can mix your own custom octane level. Additives change and even if someone said "Mix A and B and it will give great results" that only held for the time when neither fuel changed their additive package. Additive packages are complex and someone saying the sum of the whole is greater than the parts needs to have studied the chemical makeup of both packages and be able to understand any complex reactions that might happen. They need to be compatible with each other but it doesn't mean they have any added properties outside of what they each do on their own. It could be that mixing packages makes them less effective. We just don't know.

This 'top tier' claim can be very misleading. Smaller gas stations like 7-11 or Stop and Go here in California are among a slew of smaller dealers that claim Top Tier Gas. It is true that it is in fact top tier although what they don't tell you is it's the gas from the bottom of the storage tanks that Chevron/Shell and 76 to name a few will not buy or use. The smaller stations purchase the gas at a discount and can claim Top Tier gas so buyer beware.

Here is Triumphs response.
I think one just goes by Ron if in other Country than US. In US, AKI label on the pump is what we use, so 87 octane.
I did send follow up saying many sites show conversion of Ron 95 = 91 aki. Curious the answer. Wonder if in other Countries guys/gals going to the pump with Ron label saying " but 87 aki means we should be using Ron 91, not 95"!!!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210910-070720_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20210910-070720_Email.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 22
now that we are getting contourable with the 87
also in the winter they (whoever the hell they are) add up to 15% ethanol
so how does that work in the system?

Last edited:
now that we are getting contourable with the 87
also in the winter they (whoever the hell they are) add up to 15% ethanol
so how does that work in the system?
The US versions are allowed up to 15%. Most places run only up to 10%, the max they can run will be on the fuel pump. There is no minimum so it might say 15% on the pump but it can be from 0-15% and as you mentioned the mix changes through the year and by region.

I took the salesman's statement to use 91 octane without verifying myself on both this bike and my 2017 honda accord. After seeing this post, I also checked the Honda. Nope, 87. Both vehicles. Should know to always verify.
Don't have a problem paying less and possibly better performance. Will check mileage now and compare.

This 'top tier' claim can be very misleading. Smaller gas stations like 7-11 or Stop and Go here in California are among a slew of smaller dealers that claim Top Tier Gas. It is true that it is in fact top tier although what they don't tell you is it's the gas from the bottom of the storage tanks that Chevron/Shell and 76 to name a few will not buy or use. The smaller stations purchase the gas at a discount and can claim Top Tier gas so buyer beware.
Can we actually be sure what brand of fuel there is in the pump? In Europe, I've heard rumours that local gas stations often get the fuel from one and the same refinery, so the station sign would not be a guarantee for a certain brand of fuel. But I have no idea if this is true and US is a different market of course.

Man how many days of research and then email triumph and we're no closer to the truth, now kluven has me doubting the top tier,🤔 I'm so confused. Do we know the guy or gal that made the; I guess statement in the second paragraph of triumph's reply, what position he or she held in the company, hey it could have been the cleaning crew!!! Right 🤔😆🤣😂

Back