Run premium fuel?

#115.....
Ive tried all four US octanes (87, 89, 91, 93) since I too didn't have a clear understanding of what to use. The last two (91/93) are depending upon location of course. The only difference I have noticed is the strength of the gas odor in my garage after riding. The gas smell is much stronger at the higher octanes. AKI 87 produced minimal odor after a ride (if any). 91/93's odor lingered for quite some time. For the before mentioned reason, I now use only 87 and have no problems at all.
Better burn. Not as much unspent fuel

Anyone know or understand the pro's or con's of the 10% ethanol (now that MTBE is gone due to contamination of drinking water) we have here in Suckafornia? It seems to me that this throws a wrench in the 87 vs. 91 octane discussion. I have no idea how this affects the three octanes we have here. Anyone know anything about it? California changes over different gas additives from summer to winter further driving up the price of gas in this ****** ******* state. It's down 10 cents to $4.85.99 today, lets celebrate!!🤬
It's 6.24.59 here on the south west coast of Canada...

Anyone know or understand the pro's or con's of the 10% ethanol (now that MTBE is gone due to contamination of drinking water) we have here in Suckafornia? It seems to me that this throws a wrench in the 87 vs. 91 octane discussion. I have no idea how this affects the three octanes we have here. Anyone know anything about it? California changes over different gas additives from summer to winter further driving up the price of gas in this ****** ******* state. It's down 10 cents to $4.85.99 today, lets celebrate!!🤬

We have had 10% - 20% ethanol in Illinois for decades. I will spare you a lengthy read but the short story is ethanol has a lot less negative effect on 4 strokes vs 2 strokes. 2 strokes require a specific ratio for lubrication and cooling while 4 strokes are adjusted via the ECU. This gets even more concerning with temperature changes when running 2 strokes up north but that's a whole other story.

Thanks for the info guys but I was referring to the affect on the starting issues. Most were discussing higher and lower octane and my concern does this stuff have any negative issues when added to gas. I know it's not good to keep it very long in lawn mowers and motorcycle engines due to corrosion problems that the Fed Gov will not admit to but that's what my question was if anyone knows the possible negative side effects if any. Such as corrosion, starting and maybe stalling issues. Thanks for the info guys. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, ethanol is hygroscopic , like salt, it will grab atmospheric water any chance it gets. That's why normally the purest alcohol available is 95%, as soon as you crack the seal on 100% alcohol, it's no longer 100% alcohol.

Unfortunately, ethanol is hygroscopic , like salt, it will grab atmospheric water any chance it gets. That's why normally the purest alcohol available is 95%, as soon as you crack the seal on 100% alcohol, it's no longer 100% alcohol.
The only thing I don't get is how does dry gas work, I guess it mixes with the water to help it burn off, cause all it is is alcohol, methal-ethal????

Only my lawn small motors and the abandoned Valkiries have I suffered alcohol/bad old fuel carburetor obstructive problems. My 07 Classic burns low grade regular everywhere just fine. I'v tried burning the mid and high grade and it seems to run the same to me. Just throw a can of car cleaner STP or Lucas when you feel like it and your good.

The only thing I don't get is how does dry gas work, I guess it mixes with the water to help it burn off, cause all it is is alcohol, methal-ethal????
Drygas simply mixes with the water in the tank that has already gone out of phase and is at the bottom. I use it in everything just before winter to keep fuel lines from
freezing. Drygas turns water into something the engine can burn.

Back