Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Jan 06 to Mar 06

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • April 06 to June 06

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • July 06 to Sept 06

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
I've been putting up with a poor idle (the bike sort of "chugs" at idle) for quite a few miles now since the dealer hasn't been able to fix it permanently. However, 2 months ago with 21,000 on the odometer I started getting a missing and backfiring at steady throttle. Any speed and any rpm, try to hold steady throttle, and the bike runs like garbage. It is actually not driveable anymore. The dealer downloaded service bulletin 385 into the bike but it did no good. The bike get service bulletin 386 (a recall bulletin) downloaded tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath on that since it claims it is for "rough idle". Hell, I can deal with rough idle, but not being able to ride at a steady throttle setting is driving me nuts. Anyone out there hear of a similar problem. I really loved this bike for 21,000 but now it's getting me really bent out of shape......

I've been putting up with a poor idle (the bike sort of "chugs" at idle) for quite a few miles now since the dealer hasn't been able to fix it permanently. However, 2 months ago with 21,000 on the odometer I started getting a missing and backfiring at steady throttle. Any speed and any rpm, try to hold steady throttle, and the bike runs like garbage. It is actually not driveable anymore. The dealer downloaded service bulletin 385 into the bike but it did no good. The bike get service bulletin 386 (a recall bulletin) downloaded tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath on that since it claims it is for "rough idle". Hell, I can deal with rough idle, but not being able to ride at a steady throttle setting is driving me nuts. Anyone out there hear of a similar problem. I really loved this bike for 21,000 but now it's getting me really bent out of shape......

Ever tried a 12 minute tune?

Hi Flip--yes, I've tried the 12 minute tune. Hell, I will try anything and everything I can just to get this best sorted out. the dealer downloaded (or whatever it is they do) recall 386 the other day. Within 5 minutes of riding, the idle starting hanging around 4 grand, then dropped to 3 grand then back to 4........managed to make it back to the shop without running up the rear end of any cars, but it was kind of hairy trying to ride it like that. Seems like any new tune, or down load works for 5-10 miles and then it all goes to hell again. My Rocket has been acting like this for 3 months now, and it is getting VERY upsetting.:(

PS--I am open to any and every suggestion you all out there can throw at me. I just want to ride!!!!!!

Idley by

My '05 did not have an idle problem until the "update" was performed on it last month. Now it doesn't idle at all.:confused: Had to drive my truck to work for the first time in 4 months. The rocket is at the shop now. They said Triumph might cover it though I am 3 months out of warranty with only 5K miles.

Theres at least a month of riding left, I want my rocket! Waah!:(

Last edited:
I'm very carefully avoiding and dealer contact with the bike whatsoever. There is no way any dealer is going to do an 'upgrade' on my bike's brain. In my opinion, the 'upgrade' is really a 'downgrade'

My bike hasn't seen a dealer since it's 500 mile service and barring some catastrophic failure, it's not going to.

They ought to cover it. They focked it up to begin with, right?

They ought to cover it. They focked it up to begin with, right?[/quote]

Right!

If they do good by me I will continue to do business w/ Triumph. If not, not.

Same problem - ongoing for a LONNNNG time

R3 Mfg 09/06, purchased Aug 07. 500 mile service included new program to fix idle problem that I hadn't experienced. But, on Nov 17, trucked it back to dealer as unridable. Recall tune downloaded and TPS voltage adjusted.

Starting Feb 08 to current (July 08), it has been back 5 times, in the shop for 43 days and counting. Stepper motor replacement, TPS "O" rings and "abnormal" voltage setting all get it working of a short while. The first sign of a problem is a hesitation (misfire?) at cruise. Then it spits and sputters so bad at cruise that I feel like I will be thrown off. At the same time, it develops idle speed (race to 2000 while sitting at a stop light and other times simply drop so low the engine dies) problems, sometimes engine shutdown while shifting (Want some fun? Try restarting an engine just prior to entering a curve at 40 mph).

Update:

Triumph replaced the throttle body assembly. The complete thing. Past repairs failed in 5 to 3000 miles. I will update again when one of two things happen:

1. It fails again, or
2. I successfully put 6000 miles on the bike.

Last edited:
Back