50+ years on 2 wheels has taught me a lot about riding. I have to agree with most starting with a Rocket is a BAD idea. You need to learn so many things about handling a motorcycle and how to react to so many situations that are considered not normal. The thing is those situations are actually normal. Things happen. Expect the unexpected. Please get some professional training. Buy a midsized bike to learn and hone your skills. If you start on a Rocket you may find you don't ride it to its potential because of the weight and size and the fact that you have no experience to know how to handle a motorcycle let alone a Rocket. The rider of a Rocket has to have above average skills, talent and courage to put a Rocket through its paces. The Rocket can be ridden like a sport bike if you know how to do it.

I´m absolutely in love with the Rocket III roadster, I´ve been in love for over a year now, and my chance to get one is getting closer. But I´ve never ridden a bike. I dont want to buy another bike before the rocket, mainly because i dont have the money to get 2 bikes.

So the question is: is it a little insane to learn how to ride on a Rocket III or am I good to go?
UC browser SHAREit Appvn
I do not suggest it as a first bike unless you are a sizeable guy. These bikes are top heavy, their CG is quite a bit higher and they are taller making them a bit unforgiving. Being heavy also, these characteristics will cause you to dump the bike when going slow or simply moving it around. I had to put risers on the bars just to be able to control it, bars very low.

Your best bet is to take a motorcycle safety course using their bike and learn a bit first. I started on a 1969 Bonnieville twin and it was perfect.

I rode a lawnmower-engine minibike and a Honda Trail 70 when I was a kid.
In 2006, age 50, bought a BMW K1200R, my first bike. I put 500 miles on it with my learner's permit before I took the MSF course.
Mucho horsepower, scary fast. Trans sucked, shifter drum failed twice.

Got the RIII in 2008 and I'm Still alive.
The steering at slow speeds can be dangerous. Very easy to drop it in a slow turn.
Definitely take the safety course before all else.
If you ride it like grandma until you get used to it, it can be done.
Beware slow speed turns, especially going up or down hill.

A Rocket is no faster or more powerful than just about any sports bike and plenty of people buy those as a first bike (I'm sure plenty grind pavement as well). The big difference is the weight, I believe most people would be better off learning on a lighter, more agile bike and probably be a better rider for it in the long term as well. I wouldn't recommend a Rocket as a learner bike personally.
"No faster than just about any sports bike" lol

Not to discourage you, but here is what I suggest.

Buy a cheap mid size that runs. Ride it. Then buy the Rocket.

You can certainly learn on the Rocket. However it is unforgiving of errors. Its heavy, fast and loads of power.

Every new rider has a learning curve. Some take to it quickly and others longer. Its just safer to learn on a bike that's a little forgiving of small errors.

Good luck! Ride safe!
I respectfully disagree
In my opinion rocket is very forgiving and that's the problem , it encourages to push more and more and in unexperienced hands its recipe for disadisaster. But i might be wrong 😅

I read this differently. A guy has hopes of owning and riding a Rocket. Why would you get all cranked up about a bike you have never rode. Buying any motorcycle requires a degree of common sense. He needs to spend a couple of grand on a Honda Shadow. One with 500 to 600 cc. Ride it for a year. The bike will have good resale value. Now, own a Rocket.

I´m absolutely in love with the Rocket III roadster, I´ve been in love for over a year now, and my chance to get one is getting closer. But I´ve never ridden a bike. I dont want to buy another bike before the rocket, mainly because i dont have the money to get 2 bikes.

So the question is: is it a little insane to learn how to ride on a Rocket III or am I good to go?
UC browser SHAREit Appvn
My caveat is I did ride a dirt bike as a kid. But after 30 years not riding I borrowed a buddies Vespa to take the road test for my license and promptly bought a Rocket. Now into my second Rocket and more than 80,000 miles combinded, without having never taken a class I will say it is certainly doable. I for sure used discipline and rode in ultra safe areas for at least a month before I turned it loose.

Back