I´m absolutely in love with the Rocket III roadster, I´ve been in love for over a year now, and my chance to get one is getting closer. But I´ve never ridden a bike. I dont want to buy another bike before the rocket, mainly because i dont have the money to get 2 bikes.

So the question is: is it a little insane to learn how to ride on a Rocket III or am I good to go?

Yes it is insane to learn on a rocket. Ever see a pilot start training in an F16?

f-16c-19990601-f-0073c-005.jpg

Buy a cheap used bike with some power, like a Magna. Learn how to get on and off the bike, discover you balance and leaning figured out, then buy the Rocket and ride with other Rocket captains. Get a riding lesson from Scott, Steve, Dave, or Fred or one of the Seniors.

I still feel much more comfortable on the Valkyrie. The R3 is a lot of bike that requires constant attention on every move, slow or fast.

Not recommended. That said, have you taken a rider's course yet? I suggest you buy no bike until you do. As a Rider Coach, I have had several students finance a bike and then come to me after class explaining how they are unable to ride it due to size and weight based on their current skill level. I strongly suggest that you take a class and then decide if an R3 is your first bike. Remember for most people (myself included) it's not *if* you drop or dump your first bike... But *when*... It's all about learning to "ride your own ride"
-MIG

BTW, my R3T came after I enjoyed my Triumph America (850cc) followed by my Triumph Thunderbird (1600cc)... and I loved both at the riding level I was at. I also had a Honda 750 Spirit I used for visiting friends and to help my wife increase her riding confidence and it was a kick a$$ bike (orange flames and all!).
-MIG

My 2p’s worth. I never even sat on a motorbike until the age of 65.
I had already looked at the Rocket (2016) before I learned to ride and pass my test.
I’m 6’ 2” and about 190lbs. Medium build.
Just take it easy until you’re really used to it, the weight especially.
3 years on and I’m fine, but very respectful of the power and weight.
Hope this helps your decision.

Back