rocket engine noise

It's January in northern Alberta Canada...... I could only wish it was warm enough for my rocket to be making some noise.....any noise.....

Has anyone had a very load rattle when cold from the right hand lower rear of the engine that dissapears when warm

Welcome Alan from WA State USA!
I read that you have partaken of some of our forum "wit" right outta the gate. :eek:
There are mostly helpful, friendly and knowledgeable folks here; however, some of the oldies have an unwritten protocol.
I suggest you might consider utilizing the "Introduce Yourself" thread so as everybody can warm up to you. :D

I had that of problem on my 2013. Started at about 8000 miles and got worse. At 14600 miles it was so pronounced I couldn't ignore it anymore. Worst when cold but mostly gone when warmed up. It was still there When warmed up but almost inaudible. From Just off idle to about 1500 rpms. It was coming from the center of the engine in line with middle cylinder and low in the block. Required engine rebuild to fix it.

Ridefree

just curious what was the problem discovered in the rebuild, my rocket has a few noises when hot or cold but has had them since new, over 33000 Klms now no better or worse, not as noisy as some of the Mates bikes ,the dry clutch on old mates Ducati is annoying ,my Rocket noises are almost inaudible in comparison, three big slugs ponding away with cam chain and counterbalance gear ,has to make some noise ,lift the bonnet(hood in US) on most cars with a few Ks on and have a listen to the noises ,a lot of noises disappear when the engine is under load ,

They painstakingly tore the engine down piece by piece and measured everything and found all tolerances to be perfect. All tolerances were on the tight side of specs.They were amazed at the build quality from the factory. The only thing they could find was some scoring on a couple of the bores the the tappet buckets sit in so the head was replaced along with everything else including the con rods to be sure they got it right. No more noise now, engine sounds sweet and runs like a raped ape

I had that of problem on my 2013. Started at about 8000 miles and got worse. At 14600 miles it was so pronounced I couldn't ignore it anymore. Worst when cold but mostly gone when warmed up. It was still there When warmed up but almost inaudible. From Just off idle to about 1500 rpms. It was coming from the center of the engine in line with middle cylinder and low in the block. Required engine rebuild to fix it.

Ridefree
Thanks That sounds Like Mine.

I get a noise from the right rear on mine :D

SAM_0987.JPG
Not the sort of help IO hoped For!!!!!

I am so proud of you guy for not tearing our newest member a new a$$. You are all gentlemen??
And welcome alan.
The moderators sensitivity training must be working!! Lol

Last edited:
I am so proud of you guy for not tearing our newest member a new a$$. You are all gentlemen??
And welcome alan.
The moderators sensitivity training must be working!! Lol

New Members must choose to bypass the Introduce Yourself option ... i guess. As we all know it's caused a lot of trouble in the past (blokes just jumping in and asking for advice and assistance without bothering to even say good-day) Reality is the New Members are the ones that miss out as some Members just choose to ignore them rather than tearing them a new one as you stated.
BTW .. Moderators don't like *#!&*%^ anymore than the rest of us.

Not the sort of help IO hoped For!!!!!

Sorry Alan just sitting here on pain killers and thought i would try some humor !!!! Ok so it won't become my day job. all the same your bike is almost new so the first thing I would do is run the bolts as it sounds like something is expanding when the bike warms up. thing like all the exhaust bolts and shields even the cross over and where the header pipe dumps down. all this will kind of be in your area. While your at it keep a eye on the header bolts as they loosen up when new and make a rattle sound also. as for in the engine the lower right hand side of the engine is crank, crank balancing shaft in which both run the length of the engine on the right side. the rear flywheel and stater fit on the back of the crank. other then that most of the moving parts are on the right side of the engine. I am not saying you are hearing things but I think you should spend the time and check the bolts as you would not believe how many times one has been the culprit.
Hopefully it is yours or something you hearing from a different area like the slop in the lifter piece which does rattle. After you check the bolts we shall move on. Mean while I will ponder on it a bit more.

Now above ride Free had to have his taken apart and rebuilt. Maybe he knows what they replaced to fix the problem. Just in case as Ride free is one of the few that I have heard of that need complete engine work on a new motor which is a bummer but in the scheme of things that is a low percentage.

Back