Riding Without Windshield

maurice

Nitrous
Ride
2020 R3 GT
After a good amount of highway riding I realized the wind pressure is more annoying than with my prior bike with a windshield. Ordered shield from PowerBronze, UK company. Anyone not riding with windshield, hwy riding, and are not bothered by wind pressure? How about those who have a shield now, and report how you like it? Just curious.

After a good amount of highway riding I realized the wind pressure is more annoying than with my prior bike with a windshield. Ordered shield from PowerBronze, UK company. Anyone not riding with windshield, hwy riding, and are not bothered by wind pressure? How about those who have a shield now, and report how you like it? Just curious.
I live in N.M. (Farmington)yes there are some mountain roads north of me 550 to durango,silverton,ouray,telluride and to west chama,raton,dulce,can go on but most know N.M. has mostly straight open roads you wear middle of tire out way before the "strips" never had a windshield on a bike dont think I ever will wind dont bother me thats one reason I ride a bike and not always take a cage.heading to pheonix next weekend 4th time this year 5 to 6 hour ride give or take cant see how different bikes can have more wind at same spped than others but then I am not very smart

I live in N.M. (Farmington)yes there are some mountain roads north of me 550 to durango,silverton,ouray,telluride and to west chama,raton,dulce,can go on but most know N.M. has mostly straight open roads you wear middle of tire out way before the "strips" never had a windshield on a bike dont think I ever will wind dont bother me thats one reason I ride a bike and not always take a cage.heading to pheonix next weekend 4th time this year 5 to 6 hour ride give or take cant see how different bikes can have more wind at same spped than others but then I am not very smart
Have you ever ridden with a taller shield? You still have the wind, just not pushing you back hard, more relaxing. Lift face mask up if you want more wind. Nice though for you to save some bucks.

I have been riding my R3 now with a w/shield for the last 21/2 years, won't go back anytime soon. I do have an old neck injury which was giving me hell without the shield, all good now. Long rides no problem, I do use a tall w/shield however.

There’s a reason why Ultra Classics, Street Glides, Road Glides, and Road Kings come with farings and shields. Most people don’t like getting beaten up by the wind.

Have you ever ridden with a taller shield? You still have the wind, just not pushing you back hard, more relaxing. Lift face mask up if you want more wind. Nice though for you to save some bucks.
A shield that you can see over, like up to the tip of your nose, can send the wind over your head and still create turbulence around your helmet.

Tried the smallest Powerbronze windshield but it was a no-go for me. It took away the wind from chest, but created intense draft around lower neck area and increased wind noise in helmet. took it off again and drove 160 km's yesterday with no pain in neck and shoulders today.
Any fairing/windshield larger than the OEM or Powerbronze one ruins the looks of the R3R IMO and since i don't have a problem without one i guess i will carry on driving it as it came out of the box. Maybe if Memphis shades produce the Bullet, Gauntlet or Café fairings for the R3 i'll try one of those.

The question is whether replacing the feeling of freedom with a noisy, ugly piece of plastic is worth it.
The Memphis shades stuff is quite ingenious with their snap on/off feature if you want the noisy ugly plastic for a long haul or don't, for some summer's evening cruising :)

The GT stock screen is pretty good, no helmet buffering. I bought a slipstream spit fire windshield for long trips I want to take in the future. I'AM In the process of making brackets to be able to get some saddlebags on also, these will only be used for long trips also. I agree that anything other than the stock screen will make the bike look hokey.

Back