Riding Without Windshield

Just south of Albuquerque, NM. R3 Classic with stock windshield during the winter, comes off as soon as the weather gets better. Been battered a few times by the wind over the other side of the Sandia/Manzano mountains a time or two (wished I had it on then), but still prefer it off (catch a lot of bugs!)

I put a GT shield on my R and it didn't really do much. Added an extension screen about 4 inches tall and slightly wider than the stock GT screen and besides looking a little goofy it keeps quite a bit of wind off my chest, which is what I was after. Old body gets tired fighting the wind on this rather powerful beast!!

On long distance rides, I sure want a windscreen up front. I have two: A short one and a tall one with the BMW-style air vents.

But once I get to a nice riding location, I’ve dropped the windscreen in favor of direct air. Like in the Sturgis area. There’s nothing like riding the Dakota hills with fresh air coming right at ya.
0D5BCBC0-BF53-4E6F-B22E-DE5FFFCCBF97.jpeg

Bfore i got my R3T i always rode bikes without windshields. Downside is that i got sinus infections on a regular basis, particularly after riding in colder weather.
I never take of my windshield and haven't had sinus infections since. The OEM windshield takes the wind away from the upper body and is just high enough to redirect most of the wind over the helmet. Even with my height of 6ft6.

i use my windshield during winter and for long rides. i rode from Norfolk to Sterns KY without one in pouring rain round trip and will keep mine handy for bad weather days. but for daily commuting and summer short trips i use a boulevard peak. Clearview makes an windshield that replaces the orginal plexiglass. can make it 4" wider and taller with a recurve to push the air pocket up. when you are selecting a windshield you will need to look at a point 50ft infront of you. the top of the windshield should be 2" below you line of sight or 2" above. this will keep it from messing with your field of vision. as for fogging just clean and apply an anti fogging agent to it. many products out there i like Rain Coat water repellent. on both sides.

I am 5'11" with a long torso my inseam is almost 31 inches
I have the Powerbronze larger screen on order, due in a week. This is 475mm tall so I’ll replace the stock GT screen I currently have with the Powerbronze for longer trips.
I found the bare Rocket 3R too tiring to ride on the highway so fitted the GT screen which allows highway riding to a more acceptable level of comfort while not diminishing the all important “look” of the bike!

I ride about 100 miles a day. Every day. Currently in bad shape due to arthritis working its way up my spine. Still ride. Knee is a joke and at times can not use my leg very well. It is also eat up with arthritis. Weather is warm so that helps but daily ride is a open highway in Oklahoma. I do this all year. Winters here in Oklahoma can get cold. Riding in 10 degree or less during the winter can be tough. I do it all year with the stock fly screen. IMG_0921.JPG I guess i'm from a different time and generation.

Back