Maybe time to get the bike looked at/fixed before something does happen, would hate to read about a crash caused by the high speed weave/wobble :eek:

Yes trying to make that happen... bike has been back twice... so far all they did was tighten the headstock bearing but adjuster .... I’m awaiting getting the frame checked for alignment.... after that I guess I can just replace the headstock and wheel bearings... not sure what else it could be

Have ridden on a smaller Yamaha virago 1100cc in strong cross winds for 140km
And didn't have any where as much trouble.

I have ridden in strong winds on lighter bikes and had less trouble too... not sure if what happened yesterday was because the wind was just that bad or it’s how the weight of the bike is affected by wind but it was a lot Wobblier in the gusts than any other bike I’ve ridden....

I steer into the wind. Leaning is a scary thing when the wind stops abruptly or passing a truck.

Yes... specially if it is suddenly blocked!

What I struggled with was the bike was wobbling side to side .... it’s like it causes severe oscillation but then again I’m having problems with that at speed so maybe the wind just enhanced that

That wobble will be a symptom of your mystery problem triggered by the wind, on my R3 crossing a tall bridge in the area I hit probably 40-50mph winds. The bike didnt wobble at all but you definitely have to lean into it.

In strong winds I noticed the bikes feels combative to steer straight because it takes so much force to keep that weight going where you want. It would definitely be exacerbated on a touring since they have more stable geometry, though, the same geometry should make it less prone to the effect in the first place.

That wobble will be a symptom of your mystery problem triggered by the wind, on my R3 crossing a tall bridge in the area I hit probably 40-50mph winds. The bike didnt wobble at all but you definitely have to lean into it.

In strong winds I noticed the bikes feels combative to steer straight because it takes so much force to keep that weight going where you want. It would definitely be exacerbated on a touring since they have more stable geometry, though, the same geometry should make it less prone to the effect in the first place.

That’s what I’m thinking

I’ve ruled out headstock bearing adjustment and tyres and it’s not the screen or loading of bags, they claim the forks are good but I may need to recheck them myself I guess

So to check I have

How engine bolted to frame
Wheel bearings and consider just replacing headstock bearings
Frame alignment
Possibly re check forks

Anything else that’s a possible cause? At this point I’m thinking of just doing a process of elimination

Bit of a brown pants moment on the way to work today.

me being me I didnt check the weather - I daily commute and have all but given up checking weather. I probably should have registered it was unusual for a fellow rider to be warning me about wind at the petrol station after he had just come from where i was heading.

So i pull onto the highway and get hit with 57km/h winds that gusted up to 83 km/h. the 53 was uncomfortable but ok as it was constant, the 83km/h well lets just say that tightened certain muscles when it hit.... The rocket touring is a heavy bike, it was getting pushed like a rag doll and shook quite dramatically, only thing I could figure out was to slow right down to about 80km/h.....in a 110km/h zone... not fun!!!

any strategies/tips for riding these beasts in wind? I tried to just be loose, put my knees out and go with it, but i felt like a balloon on a string getting hit by an air compressor gun! Hoping it settles before the trip home tonight.... one thing ive learnt, the weight in this bike is a bit top heavy.

Morris tells a story of his bike shutting off as it was thrown between lanes in one of his around Texas rides. If it's blowing 40mph I'm drinking beer.

Back