RIDE ON | Dyno'd Triumph Rocket 3 | Factory Custom (TFC) vs R3-R

They posted on this forum today
Ah, good to see Richard posting, he's a legend - and has the same first name as me! Glad to see another dyno run consistent with the one I witnessed. It's a nice flat torque curve and very linear power delivery; exactly what you want in a road bike.

Ah, good to see Richard posting, he's a legend - and has the same first name as me! Glad to see another dyno run consistent with the one I witnessed. It's a nice flat torque curve and very linear power delivery; exactly what you want in a road bike.
Well my TFC is intended to be a road bike. I have a 2014 Roadster with Lush stuff that is a 203/166 bike so I’m ok with owning the two.:thumbsup:

What else can I tell you? Well, the following I guess, which is just my observations and POV, so nobody have a cow man!

A number of people claim the TFC revs higher and it’s in those extra revs that the power difference is most noticeable. The HG dyno ran to 6,103 rpm for the R and 6,107 for the TFC. Just 4 rpm difference. That’s not to say that the TFC couldn’t rev higher than that. And it’s important to note that torque has already begin to tailor off at that point. However the hp curve is still on the climb (the R has plateaued). But those revs are what they managed, on the day, on the HG dyno at least. Overlaying the two HG charts, the TFC makes a little more hp and torque between 5.5-6k. But it also actually loses out slightly on torque (about 5 lbs./ft) everywhere up to 3k. If every bike of the same model, made exactly the same power, which they won't - then for road use you's take the R/GT and for the drag strip, the TFC. But back in the real-world, they’re not exactly chalk and cheese different IMHO and ample for 'popping down the shops' in rush hour.

Unfortunately I don't know what gear the dyno runs were done in, but it's often fourth as that removes the usual problems of traction in the lower gears and being able to reach max revs - which isn't always possible in the top gears.

A number of people (and at least one magazine review) have also claimed the R3's first three gears are restricted. And certainly that was the case (first two gears I think?) when the original RIII was launched in 2004, I believe. But then again, road bikes didn’t have 5 axis IMU’s and traction control in them days. I’d be very surprised if Triumph felt the need to provide power restrictions in the lower gears now, just to limit potential wheel-spin, when the TC is already designed to do precisely that? And this is on a bike with far better brakes, handling and agility than that the machine it supersedes. At least, that’s my assumption until Triumph themselves (or Richard Albans - I respect his POV!) say otherwise!

Good job! I presume some N2O is involved! :D
No just triple K&N filters, Viking full header pipe three into one, HC pistons, a cam, Tune ECU mod and finished on a dyno with a PCV. Oh improved suspension with Traxxion front fork kit and Racetech rear piggybacks.:thumbsup: It revs to 7250 rpm and pulls all the way, it’s nearly scary for rider with modest skills like myself.:eek:

No just triple K&N filters, Viking full header pipe three into one, HC pistons, a cam, Tune ECU mod and finished on a dyno with a PCV. Oh improved suspension with Traxxion front fork kit and Racetech rear piggybacks.:thumbsup: It revs to 7250 rpm and pulls all the way, it’s nearly scary for rider with modest skills like myself.:eek:
Nice work. Traxxion owner Max let me ride his modified Goldwing for one of my RIDE ON YouTube videos. Good guy.

Nice work. Traxxion owner Max let me ride his modified Goldwing for one of my RIDE ON YouTube videos. Good guy.
Speedy was the brains and help with my suspension stuff and Steel and Warp advised me on the motor mods. I’ve learned a lot here and been helped my many. I love this place.

Speedy was the brains and help with my suspension stuff and Steel and Warp advised me on the motor mods. I’ve learned a lot here and been helped my many. I love this place.
Don't blame me. I'd have advised you to reach for more hp. Warp seems to advise people that they don't need over 200 hp, while he's running around on a 240 hp bike. Seems like maybe he just don't want anyone to be able to outrun him. :whitstling:

Don't blame me. I'd have advised you to reach for more hp. Warp seems to advise people that they don't need over 200 hp, while he's running around on a 240 hp bike. Seems like maybe he just don't want anyone to be able to outrun him. :whitstling:
I ain’t blaming you I’m crediting you with helping build my bike for my needs. Warp did recommend a tq build after seeing the roads I ride all the time and I saw some merit in that idea. The post was a complement to my friends and you are one of them.:thumbsup:

BTW I’m not worried about him outrunning me in the mountains.:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Back