Red idiot light....

You just flat out"ROCK",Jamie.Wish I was there to charge those mountain roads with you.One of those typa A personalities I'll bet,huh?Take him up on it and show those guys what for.(modified for polital correctness):D

Thanks soul mate. Yeah. I am still rocking. Telling wiffie I am done casually cruisin' with the Rocket III for the early morning bit but that I'll put them hides and racing boots on to fetch that Sunday rag she needs to read and that pack of ciggies (am restricted to one low-tar pack a day) I pretend not to need.

But the fact is that my favorite ciggy/newsstand shop oddly happens to be up in the Alps. 1800 meters altitude and 100 k's away from home :D

Last edited:
If you look next time the light comes on, there should be a small arrow pointing to either the oil or temp symbol. You can also see it when you first turn on the key. This may help you to pinpoint at least what part is giving you trouble. Bigern

Does anyone run the no water coolant? Any link(s) I've overlooked? Sorry about the off topic:flame:

For the life of me, I can't figure out what "no water coolant" is. You mean extended life AF instead of good old etheylene glycol or what? You could drain out all the water and use light weight non detergent motor oil for coolant I guess.:confused:

bigern:

Frankly, I've never heard of such a thing, I'm just looking for enlightenment. :confused:

One question that you can answer though in as much as you've had your motor apart is;

Are the liners in the R3 engine wet or dry? By wet or dry, I mean is the block a parent bore dry linered motor or does the coolant circulate around the outside of the liners?. That's not clear in the workshop manual though it refers to sealing the bottom lip of the liners and being careful not to disturb them once they are in place. That's indicative of a wet linered engine. If it is indeed a wet linered engine, then the addition of Potassium Permagnate in the form of DCA coolant additive would be an advantage as DCA promotes a better rate of heat exchange between the coolant and liner. DCA also inhibits scale and corrosion in the system and radiator core.

Flip...
My tear down involved only the bottom end. Although the crank mains were unbolted from the crank,(because the lower half of the case contians the lower crank mains and bearings) i never disturbed the crank, rods or cylinders. I do however believe that they are "wet" liners and that your thoughts on the DCA would correct. With all the aluminum the engine is comprised of, it would'nt hurt. From what i've read on motorcycle specific coolant bottles, motorcycle engine coolants are pretty much designed with aluminum engines in mind. My original coolant got tanked when i pulled out the water pump and mindlessly dumped engine oil into my standing coolant drain pan. So i checked around and ended up using Kawasaki coolant. It would be interesting to take some DCA test strips and test motorcycle coolants to see if they contain any DCA. Bigern

Back