Rear Shock Length (and how it changes the ride)

Ok Rick get the car tire up to speed. Just run it until the speedometer needle points to the oil warning light. Then you are in the warp zone. Bull you have a roadster so your speedo hits a peg.
20190508_155735.jpg

After that we can work you towards 6 O'clock if you really think that car tire is stable. :)

I never go there. That is the where the flat earth ends. My fastestes recorded speed ever was 127 mph. I puxxy up at 100. I had the Raptor wobble one time but it was very windy up in the Galveston bridge and the bike had an XXL barn door on it. I have since replaced that to something in the dimensions of what you run. A little larger and not as Kool.

My wobbles occur when I decelerate hard and coast. The Sumitomo never wobbled.

Flat.jpg

Imagine your motor sitting upright on your garage floor.
Now imagine you hook a lift to the frame at the top shock mounts.
As you lift the rear up (front wheel remains on the ground) what is happening to the angle of your steering head and front forks? That OEM 32° rake is becoming smaller.
Trail is measured from where a perpendicular line from the axle meets the ground to where a line through the center of the steering head meets the ground.
Shorter the trail, quicker the steering and lees the stability at speed.
Longer the trail, slower the steering and greater the stability at speed.
Trials bikes have less trail for more maneuverability at slow speeds. Ride one over 30 mph and your sphincter will surely pucker! Sport bikes are designed for a combination of handling and speed and will have more trail than the trials bike. Cruisers and Touring bikes will have greater trail for better stability (less demands on control) at highway speeds. They also will be more difficult to control at low speeds where counter steer goes away (parking lot stuff).
Remember that Motorcycless are produced for the lowest common denominator of their purchasing public with liability being a huge factor.
Once we purchase a motor, we are pretty much stuck with its frame geometry. The enthusiast wishing to improve the handling of his motor to best fit his abilities will experiment with rake & trail.
The diagram below is a comparison of the OEM Roadster (red) and how just changing tire sizes can noticeably affect handling. As you can see just a .62" reduction in trail will result in a large difference by quickening the handling.

Bull & OEM.jpg
"Very nice explanation and graphic's big guy! I'm looking to get a new set of Metzeler 888s with the 140 front tire, should handle a little better; "Be Safe"

Back