Stock rears lasted me 4,000 miles and were similar to those pictures. I can't stress enough how much stop and go I do though, so I do a TON of 1St gear, idle, drag rear brake so I can idle along at the same speed as traffic without having to half engage the clutch for an hour at a time.

More open roads I'd expect 10k miles would be reasonable life span on them.

How many miles Bull?

I have 43K and they are the first replacement pads on the rear (OEM).
Installed the first replacement pads on the front (EBC HH) at 30K, so they will be due probably after/before the Texas ride in October.
I do use quite a bit more front brake than rear, both from hot-footing and laziness.

Last edited:
Then I've got a ways to go.
What a big difference sintered (whatever that is)makes. Good to know...thanks!

Sintering is compressing a butt load of metal particles together to form the pads...downside is supposed premature wear on discs but I've not really noticed this on any vehicle I've owned since asbestos was fazed out

So happy to find they could be replaced without having to remove the rear wheel again!
Even more happy to see I dodged a bullet as they were max thin and I be riding out for RAA XI Friday!

Rear-Brakes_1.jpg Rear-Brakes_2.jpg
Is it very difficult to change break pads by myself?

Not hard at all! Go to the introduction forum here and introduce yourself. :) Then fill out your profile. Then go check out @idk signature and download the R3 manual where everything you ever wanted to know is. I'm not saying that everyone is going to tell you to read the book but sometimes you will be told to read the book. :) Welcome from Northern Nevada brother.

Back