R handlebars on GT

Sandybandy

.040 Over
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
Hi all,
After two years on the GT I have come to the conclusion that the seating position is just not for me, as it hurts my back after a couple of hours, so I want to change my GT to R ergonomics (R handlebars, R foot controls and R seat). Can anyone advise me on the handlebar fitting. The Triumph fitting kit includes a new shorter wiring harness (but not the wires for the GT heated grips), short brake hose, short clutch hose and another longer hose (not sure what this one is, maybe clutch?). Do I need a new shorter harness, can the excess be folded over and hidden some where, or perhaps pushed down inside the R handle bars? Can I get away with only buying the two shorter clutch and brake hoses, do I need the longer one as well?
All this will be fitted by my local Triumph dealer and the parts that I cannot find elsewhere (ebay) will be bought through the dealer, I am just trying to save some money if I can.

Sorry for the questions, any advise would be appreciated.

If it was me i would leave the longer stuff on there until i came to the conclusion that I was going keep this set up then make changes of what i did not like.

Hello Sandybandy,
I don't unfortunately have any answers to your specific questions, but i'm very much interested to hear if there are any answers forthcoming here, so i'm subscribing to your thread.

I agree with MightyMouse's recommendation.
I'm not convinced that there is a black or white solution even though Triumph market the two models with nothing in between or an option to specifiy the ergonomic set-up on either models from new.
The solution lies in the individual riders shape & size, physique/posture & riding style etc...
With this in mind, I also recommend that you take things in stages.
I didn't really enjoy the feet forward set-up for a number or reasons so have opted for the mid controls but the 'R' bars are definitely not for me so i've got the touring bars and that feels like an acceptable halfway house. Definitely worth a try IMHO.

My ideal set up would be the mid mounts with a set of handlebars halfway between the 'R' and the 'GT'..........If someone out there fancy's producing them, i'm planning to be at the front of the queue....They will need all the GT electrical features built-in though.

...forgot to mention that I have both the 'R' & 'GT' seat and I much prefer the comfort of the GT seat compared to the R despite the higher R seat offering more space for my leg length.
Ergonomics is a complicated thing. I should know, I design vehicle interiors for a living among other things.

Last edited:
I would change the forward controls to mid control first as that may alleviate your back problems. It did mine. Just a thought.:thumbsup:
The dealer said that mid controls on the GT is a very popular mod. Unfortunately just moving your feet back six inches doesn't alter the sitting/back/posture position. I need to be leant forward to straighten my back, the GT sitting position causes me to slouch. I have had a short time on the R and it seems a better position for me. I had sports bikes for twenty years and the riding position was perfect for my back, but not for my license!

6"? It's more like 11". I just measured. The 'mid controls' are actually all the way back and are just like the R model. You can move them back from the GT and also down a little if I remember correctly. Mine are back and up for more lean angle.
IMG_9554.JPG

Going to be a challenge to fit the GT cables in R bars as there is nowhere for the excess cables to Bundle them up.
Maybe in the bodywork/trim piece just above the headlights??
Would probably need a slot cutting in the bottom half of the trim unit for the trail of wires to fit through.
(I'm only brainstorming, as i've not checked any of that out. Just from rough memory)

Maybe in the bodywork/trim piece just above the headlights??
Would probably need a slot cutting in the bottom half of the trim unit for the trail of wires to fit through.
(I'm only brainstorming, as i've not checked any of that out. Just from rough memory)
Thanks for the ideas. It seems that the brake and clutch hoses can only be bought as part of the handlebar fitting kit, so I will have to buy all new parts, at least this way I cannot be held responsible if anything is missing or wrong.

Before the plug and play days we had to use the old fashioned soldering iron to make handlebar changes. As long as + or - clutch and brake cables were available anything was possible.

Back