Question about an inclinometer which acts like a SPDT switch

Thank you for the suggestions as to an electronic inclinometer. After looking at these and other possible solutions, I realized the answer to my question rapidly swept past my mathematical/electronic abilities (basic/none). I am now trying to rethink my question so that it remains within my very basic abilities/understanding. I will post another thread once I believe I have come up with a solution that fits within these parameters.

Realise that MECHANICAL tilt switches will NOT do what you want. Single Track tilting vehicles rely on what we all call centrifugal force and this will kill any system that relies on weight/inertia

Realise that MECHANICAL tilt switches will NOT do what you want. Single Track tilting vehicles rely on what we all call centrifugal force and this will kill any system that relies on weight/inertia

Thank you for that information. I was reading in another thread about something else which mentioned the law of Angular Momentum. This too would create a problem for a mechanical solution as well. It may be that a mechanical solution may be out of my reach. I will just have to keep thinking about this. If I cannot find a solution within my abilities, I will either have to increase my level of understanding in my deficient areas or abandon the project. It will be fun and interesting to chew on this. And again, thank you for this bit of information. I found it helpful.

Good read for an explanation of the problem of adaptive headlights on a two wheel vehicle. Some assumptions they make concerning roll axes are incorrect and the mechanical solution chosen way too complicated for the task at hand.

Two fundamental measurements to be made: What is the lean angle of the bike relative to the road and what is the track angle of the wheel contact patches relative the road ahead? From there you know the attitude of the bike relative to the road and its direction of travel.

One ball socket and two linear actuators provide 360 degrees of rotational freedom. Several low power laser sensors could be used for attitude measurements.

Nice thing about this is you would get head lights that maintain focused distance under braking and acceleration, and not just during cornering without any more sensors, hardware or additional software.

All this is grossly simplified of course, but very possible.

Good read for an explanation of the problem of adaptive headlights on a two wheel vehicle. Some assumptions they make concerning roll axes are incorrect and the mechanical solution chosen way too complicated for the task at hand.

Two fundamental measurements to be made: What is the lean angle of the bike relative to the road and what is the track angle of the wheel contact patches relative the road ahead? From there you know the attitude of the bike relative to the road and its direction of travel.

One ball socket and two linear actuators provide 360 degrees of rotational freedom. Several low power laser sensors could be used for attitude measurements.

Nice thing about this is you would get head lights that maintain focused distance under braking and acceleration, and not just during cornering without any more sensors, hardware or additional software.

All this is grossly simplified of course, but very possible.

Could I use the lazers to shoot deer ?

Possibly, but to put one down you would need a wee bit more power. And really good facial recognition software so you don't shoot some dumb ass in a cage crossing into your lane.:D:D:D

Possibly, but to put one down you would need a wee bit more power. And really good facial recognition software so you don't shoot some dumb ass in a cage crossing into your lane.:D:D:D
There are times when I thought of a laser to shoot out the rear tyres on some vehicles.

I'm by no means qualified in anything having to do with electrical systems, I can get lost in the simplest of electrical related tasks... that's my disclaimer :confused:

That said, might there be a switch out there that works on a pendulum type basis? Seems that might take care of the bike lean in the corners, and the related G forces associated with the lean and turn.

Back