Question about an inclinometer which acts like a SPDT switch

PaddyO

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3T
I plan on replacing the regular headlight on my R3T with the 7″ XMC MOTORCYCLE LED HEADLIGHT and the auxiliary lights with the XMC LED Passing Lamp all by VisionX. I have been to the headlight revolution website and like the way these lights illuminate the road. However, looking at the Adaptive lights by JW Speaker has got me thinking.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as an inclinometer that could act as a SPDT switch? I am thinking that I could have some additional lights that would light up automatically by the inclinometer when the bike leans over in a turn. When the bike leans left, the right light would turn on. When the bike leans right, the left light would turn on. This would fill in the dark area that is left by the headlight and driving lights. I know I could do this manually with a normal SPDT switch. I am wondering if there is an inclinometer which could do this automatically?

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as an inclinometer that could act as a SPDT switch? I am thinking that I could have some additional lights that would light up automatically by the inclinometer when the bike leans over in a turn. When the bike leans left, the right light would turn on. When the bike leans right, the left light would turn on. This would fill in the dark area that is left by the headlight and driving lights. I know I could do this manually with a normal SPDT switch. I am wondering if there is an inclinometer which could do this automatically?
There are indeed. BUT from personal experience doing exactly what you're thinking you need one that is programmable and Gyro stabilised. Without the stabaliser you will get false switching. The most suitable I found are made by Hummingbird Electronics in Australia. Very robust as they are designed for mining vehicles. About Aud400 a pop. Tilt | Hummingbird Electronics

Mine was cheaper - but I have had it a good while. After many many iterations and tests - I bought JWS Adaptive. And have JWS 6150 aux lights.

Also - realise that you have to angle the aux lights inwards a bit and light left bends from the right side and right bends from the left side. I am still running tests but now with indicator activated cornering beams. I am using a more focused beam for this - modified Triumph Fog lights with 10W LEDS mounted in.

There are indeed. BUT from personal experience doing exactly what you're thinking you need one that is programmable and Gyro stabilised. Without the stabaliser you will get false switching. The most suitable I found are made by Hummingbird Electronics in Australia. Very robust as they are designed for mining vehicles. About Aud400 a pop. Tilt | Hummingbird Electronics

Mine was cheaper - but I have had it a good while. After many many iterations and tests - I bought JWS Adaptive. And have JWS 6150 aux lights.

Also - realise that you have to angle the aux lights inwards a bit and light left bends from the right side and right bends from the left side. I am still running tests but now with indicator activated cornering beams. I am using a more focused beam for this - modified Triumph Fog lights with 10W LEDS mounted in.

The question of the lights is to be my next question. I realize about the need to aim the lights as the bike leans. I have some ideas about this, but before spending much time/energy on this question, I need to answer the first question. It may be possible to answer both at the same time, depending on what I can find out about the inclinometer.

I know not of these XMD LEDs. :eek: :D
American made :thumbsup:
Not cheap :thumbsup:
Please put one on your R3T, come to RAA East 2018 in May and we shall measure it up for comparison to my JWS Adaptives.

In your link there is a Aud$200 version. Would this do the job? I did not see a Aud$400 version.

2 Axis Tilt Switch

2 AXIS TILT SWITCH

The Hummingbird Electronics 2 Axis Tilt Switch is a user configurable, accurate and simple tilt switch with a 0-64 degree switching angle.
SKU: HMTS2CFG10B
$215.00

Hummingbird Electronics' two-axis tilt switch is a simple to configure, flexible tilt switch with a wide range of applications. The tilt-switch can be operated horizontally, vertically or upside down and can be configured for single or dual axis operation. The switch set-point is user configurable.

Powerful Performance
Hummingbird Electronics' tilt-switches measure pitch and roll angles with high accuracy by measuring the earth's gravitational field with a three axis accelerometer.

A dip-switch provided allows the user to select horizontal or vertical operation and allows single or dual axis operation. Once mounted, the tilt-switch can be opened and calibrated by pressing a push-button switch internal to the device. This will compensate for small angle offsets due to mounting. The unit should be calibrated at least once if it is to be used upside down.

The damping factor (how much averaging is performed) can be changed between two values for fast operation and noise immune operation.

A hysteresis value can be set to be either 0.5 degrees or 1 degree. With a set-point of 10 degrees and 1 degree hysteresis, the relay will switch on at 10 degrees and off at 9 degrees. Hysteresis prevents the internal relay from continuously switching on and off at the switch-point.

The activation angle can be set between 1 and 64 degrees using the internal dip-switch. A relay with contacts rated at 10A will switch on when the angle set-point is exceeded. Voltage free Normally-Open, Normally-Closed and Common contacts are provided.

An internal bi-colour LED is normally green and changes to red when the relay is activated.

Rugged Hardware
The configurable tilt-switches are supplied in a rugged aluminium enclosure that is splash-proof. Provision for screw mounting when required is provided.

Power to the unit and outputs are provided through colour coded wires.

Please note that the integrated relay outputs are not internally fused. Driving currents larger than those specified will result in damage to the tilt-switch.

Features:
• Relay output
• In system calibration Multi-voltage 12/24V
• Reverse polarity protected
• Rollover mode
• Configurable damping

The thing is - HOW THEY DETECT tilt. The detect changes in the Earths magnetic field. So I found that anything that can substantially affect the same - will basically trip them. Like driving past a BIG METAL TRUCK. They are VERY sensitive.

They used to do a Gyro stabilised one so both types of sensor had to trip. I'd ask before investing. Also the sensor has to be positioned somewhere where the bike metal plays less influence - I stuck mine in the lid of a top case. That 200Aud version has limited hysteresis values - I had 5° programmed in. That or you'd also need a timer in the circuit to stop it switching on and off when on the threshold. Also bear in mind that unlike the Speakers which only work when they detect movement - this will switch when (for example) on the side stand.

tbh I'd fit Adaptives and forget about it - It was a lot of effort for little benefit. But when I did it there were no adaptives.

I know not of these XMD LEDs. :eek: :DAmerican made :thumbsup:Not cheap :thumbsup:
Please put one on your R3T, come to RAA East 2018 in May and we shall measure it up for comparison to my JWS Adaptives.
Reading between the lines - They are LOW OR HIGH - not LOW or LOW+HIGH - They offer an additional "offroad" module to have all on at once. Can't see a price for those bits.
If it were me I'd rethink a bit and look at adaptives - especially if you live where it's curvy.

Reading between the lines - They are LOW OR HIGH - not LOW or LOW+HIGH - They offer an additional "offroad" module to have all on at once. Can't see a price for those bits.
If it were me I'd rethink a bit and look at adaptives - especially if you live where it's curvy.

There is an adapter for $19 which allows all of the lights to be on when the high beam is selected. So it is Low beam and Low + High beam.

Back