triroketman

Supercharged
I was just wondering where the best place is to buy a pair of 440's.
I saw that mawonline has them for $388. That is the cheapest I have found.
Let me know if you have a better source. Thanks
Dave
06 R&W Classic

Weight factor

Someone herein, I just read it but the names escape me, posted a weight maximum for the 440s, along with an alternative. I don't recall that either. I'm not in the market for new shocks just yet, so it didn't register. I'd like to know what the issue is with stock shocks? Is the "upgrade" that marvelous?

Someone herein, I just read it but the names escape me, posted a weight maximum for the 440s, along with an alternative. I don't recall that either. I'm not in the market for new shocks just yet, so it didn't register. I'd like to know what the issue is with stock shocks? Is the "upgrade" that marvelous?

Progressive told me minimum load for the 440's was 200 lbs. Anything lighter, get the 418's.

The stock shocks are very stiff. You have to be a load to move them.

440's - Lowered ones ?

Has anyone bought lowered 440's ? I believe the std. replacements are 12.5", anyone tried the 11" versions and if so do you know the part numbers? Mawonline does seem to be the cheapest around but I dont know which part numbers are for the R3, they also dont seem to have chrome/black combo....any help appreciated

I have 12" 440's. I weigh 200 lbs and with my wife on the back it will bottom out when going over curbs. I went to the heavy duty springs and it no longer bottoms out however I don't get quite as much movement as with the standard springs. If I was going to do it all over again I would just of gotten the standard length. But if you do go lower than stock I would get the heavy duty springs.

Stock shocks on our Missouri roads was horrible. Way too stiff. This coming from a 200 pounder.
Yeah right :rolleyes: Just like the kid who last night, trying to impress me, says he "had" a Sportster modified to put out hundreds of HP. I asked how many hundreds; his response was, he'd never had it dyno'd. I'm speaking to the "200 pounder" here.

Q: What is an Alabama speed bump? A: CSX railroad crossings :mad: Ain't No joke!
Many cause vehicle damage at > 5mph. Makes me furious thinking about it:mad:
Saves them pukes from putting up crossing gates. I think they (CSX) have special engineers specializing in how to $cR3w up a RXR crossing.

So the intent I gather is to get more action out of the shocks. But herein the option of heavier springs is employed on a set of 440s that are a mere 1/2 inch shorter that stock (also derived herein). Why not lighter springs on the stock shocks?? Isn't the springy thingy that which make for stiffness and the shocks muffle the spring reaction:confused: It's not the fault of the shock if the spring is too stiff??? Are ALL RIIIs equipped with the same shocks; which accommodate expected two-up riding? To my recall, all Triumph RIII sales brochure imagery have no riders aboard except traveling couples?

235-245#

Last edited:
First off HeR3tic you caught me. I just weighed in @ 205. Too many Subway salads I reckon.

Before I purchased my 440's regulars I was pondering for just a moment, how precisely I could satisfy my shock requirements if a Rocket was a Harley. The selection for Harley aftermarket shocks is mind boggling. I would have thought some crafty entrepreneur would certainly introduce as air adjustable for the Rocket and be done with it, but nooooooo!
The best and quickest fix to the almost dangerous stock shock was 12.5 inch 440's with regular springs not heavy duty. I can see if I ever did go two up or really loaded down for a trip, I would bottom out for sure. But hey, it beats getting thrown off your seat doesn't it?:D

You could put softer springs on the stock shocks if: You could find ones that fit, and, you would need some sort of spring compressor.

I don't think that the stock shocks are up to the damping needed however and would probably bottom out easily. I get the feeling that the stock shocks are heep cheaps that are fortified by very stiff springs to control the climbing action of the rear drive. The Progressive's do this by having an advanced dual stage damping action that allows for a soft yet controlled ride. All I know is that they are very nice and they transform the ride quality on the Rocket. I've always said that this is one of the first mods you should do :D.

Back