I had a set of 12.5" 440 HDs on my SE Road King (roughly same weight and suspension travel). I want to say that our stock shocks are about the same as the MOCO air shocks set to about 35#. WAY TOO STIFF:soapbox:
On the Progressives: 1-up, I used 1 1/2 turns. 2-up, I used 3 to 4 turns depending on luggage. Fully loaded, I ran 4 1/2 turns. I weigh 230, and the chairperson of the board weighs about 130. These shocks are very adjustable and will be next on my list for my R3.

Also wanted to note that my SERK was already lowered and should have had 12", but I opted for the extra 1/2". The ride height went up a negligible amount... 1/4" at the most.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Progressive Suspensions Web Site

Check out Progressive Suspensions Web Site at www.progressivesuspension.com/prodSearchResults.aspx?yearID=2005&makeID=46&modelID=505
for their selection of Rocket lll shocks.

& Phat Performance Parts:
-440-4052C
Progressive Suspension 440 Series Shocks Polished - H.D. 11.5"-$399.95
-440-4052CC
Progressive Suspension 440 Series Shocks Chrome - H.D. 11.5"-$529.95

www.phatperformanceparts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PROG-440

Went with the 11.5” HD 440’s in Polished Aluminum from Phat Performance Parts (Free Tee Shirt and Shipping). They have black springs and a polished aluminum housing. These shocks match the Rocket lll quite well. Easy to install with an assistant. This lowered the bike and made it more like a cruiser. Did not affect the bike stand. Go with HD shock if the total riding weight will exceed 225 lbs.

Yes, the stock shocks (12.5") on the Rocket lll really suck compared to the 440 Progressives. Best improvement I ever made for my bikes ride.

Gary:bch:

Gary,

Thanks a bunch for the information:) After going over some railroad tracks, which I HAVE TO go over, it reminded me of my pre-prorgressive days on the SERK.:mad: I am cautious of going any less with the current travel on that rear end. Doesn't look like much, and when I let it move with a good set of Progressives, I figure I'll need all I can get. Do you have a side shot of your ride with the 11.5"s?

Thanks again,

Steve

Hey that's what I was wondering too. Might be real handy to have one if it works. I can't figure out how to get the back tire up in the air by lifting anywhere under the engine:(

Took a look at the progressives and they look good on the R3. The ones on the old SERK were always blocked by the saddlebags. I still like the polished look vice the chrome, plus the cheaper price;)

Take care,

Steve

Centre Stand

Centre Stand works quite well but is best put in place with an assistant. Rivco does provide a strap but, it is up and under the seat. You have to remove your seat to use it. Centre Stand also sits low. Be careful in the sharp turns droping too low.

Gary:eek:

Garyculb:

We were all kinda waiting for someone to report on the center stand. It's not for me. I'll continue to use the air hoist in my shop to hold the bike for oil changes and other things. 2 people to get it up, wow and the strap goes under the seat so you have to remove the seat first. That's too much. I see it does hang low. Looks like you could easily mill it away in sharp lay down type corners. By the way, are you of French descent?

Thank you very much for the report however. It appeased all my thoughts about ever buying one.

Back