Progressive 440 installation question

rusty

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
OK you captains who have changed the stocker shockers to the Progressive 440 model. Being an individual who understands that, at the least, one should "review" the instructions before altering an expensive unit such as the Rocket, I see that it states there should be "at a minimum" .020 clearance between the rubber grommet in the shock eyes and the hardware (washer) when complete (I guess this allows the shock to work unimpeded). When I installed the 440's on my Rocket, the grommets were "wider" than the boss (on the frame) is long. So, in essence, I compressed the grommet when tightening the capscrew. Also, the stockers come with a rubber grommet "AND" a metal sleeve on the upper end of the shock. The Progressives only have a grommet which fits well on the frame boss diameter (no metal sleeve required).

Just wondering if any other captains experienced the same matters upon installation of these shocks.

I opted for the 13" length for a little more travel when loaded for traveling. The individual at Progressive stated the first portion of compression is soft & should allow my weight to compress the shock to equate to the standard shock height. Didn't happen. I guess I'm too light to meet that requirement. I "can" tell the bike is taller when at a stop light, which does not matter to me due to my height. I really have not noticed a softer ride yet either, but only put a few city miles on it. I left the Progressives at the factory setting which is the lightest they can be so I'm anticipating a better ride on the open road. At least I'm hoping so, or it will be $425 for nothing.

I've read many captains state the ride is much better with the 440's so maybe there is a breakin period I have to allow for also.

One other issue is the TOR's. I love 'em!!! The bike sounds like a truck when under a load, like going up a hill or accelerating to get up to speed. Now on the highway, hour after hour, that's another story. But I can live with it, just turn up the music!

See ya.

Another old fart with ruptured eardrums......

Don't be yelling at me in Nashville because of the ringing in your ears. I'll be under the influence of my CPAP machine and won't hear a word.

The TOR's don't sound like a truck....they sound like a '68 Buick Electra 225 with a hole in the muffler.:D Trucks roar. TOR's go...pffft, pffft, pffft.....etc.

You've got your definition, I've got mine. When aboard the Rocket and giving it a whack, it sounds like someone throttling up a truck under load. And I'll bring along some ear plugs to deal with the best you can hand out. After a few barley pops I'll be ready for a CPAP lullaby anyway.

Looking forward to it Flip.

See ya. And quite getting off subject would ya???:kk:

Hey Rusty....

You will notice a big improvement with the Progressives when you get on a crappy road, you will feel the rear suspension actually working. Riding with the stockers must have been a bone jarring experience for you, I know I weigh more than you and it seemed like I was riding a hardtail when I still had the stockers on. You didn't get the heavy duty Progressives, did you?

As far as the grommet question... I installed mine so long ago I can't really recall having any issues, they pretty much bolted straight on, I may have reused a stock washer or something. Just recheck your work after a few miles.

I replaced mine about a month ago, and I didn't have any problems at all.

I needed a persuader to get the stocker off, but the Progressive slid right back on and I reused the stock hardware and torqued the bolts....

Getting the spring rate and the dampening set has been an experiment, but the install was a breeze.

Did you have to assembled the shocks or did they come pre-assembled like mine?

I put the 13 inch on about a year ago and last week had to send them back for a leak and rusting springs. If you do much 2 up I would put the OEM's back on as they are much smoother and don't bottom out. The originals are good for larger captains 230 and above as the springs are like 3/8 vs 5/16. However I noticed wallowing in the corners with the OEM'S.

Back