Practical HP Limit?

hombre

Nitrous
Everything I've read on supercharged engines advises a practical limit of 2 RWHP per cubic inch of engine displacement. They say that beyond that limit (280 RWHP for the R3) things begin to break, and reliability greatly diminishes. Well I've tipped the 280 HP mark on the dyno, and experienced my first failure... so I beginning to think that sage advice. Brembo tipped 280 HP some time ago, and asked the same question.

I had just finished a pull on the dyno, and after letting bike and dyno cool, started her up for another pull. An knocking sound was immediately evident... sounding to everyone's ears like a rod in the middle of the engine! :eek: In heart attack mode, I shut her down and started to check over the bike... oil, temps, coolant. All seemed normal. Fired her again... same knocking noise, same instant shutdown. Dylan ran for the stethoscope.

We fired her again to listen for the problem... the noise had vanished! :confused: I pulled off the chin fairing to get a better look at the SC drive pulley. As other SC R3 owners will know, there's an eccentric seal that gets placed in the front cover to seal the crankshaft extension for the SC drive. The front of this alloy seal was "chewed"... and the set screws that held the eccentric were laying in the chin fairing. The screws had backed out until they contacted the steel pulley... which promptly ripped them out of the alloy threads, destroying the seal in the process. The noise stopped because the last screw left the scene.

I neglected to freshen the loctite on these screws when I adjusted the cam timing, and the extreme stress of dyno step testing caused them to back out into the SC pulley. My fault, but it goes to show that things start to go wrong pushing the engine above the practical limit. Additional power comes with additional vibration and stress. Believe me when I tell you that she rattles things off the wall when held at 7000 RPM. If you're standing in the dyno room, your legs will shake.

So SC R3 owners take note... be sure and locktite those seal screws when you take the front cover on and off. I'm inspecting all torques and have begun drilling some critical caps for lockwire treatment, before she goes back on the dyno.

I thinking to cease my HP quest right about here... **** tired of finding all the weak points. :rolleyes:

Some impressive power there! Sounds like you got really lucky.. :)

But.. It sounds like the only weak point you found was that you forgot to put Loctite on some screws.. :)

Tighten it down

I have had several fasteners come loose on the Rocket, exhaust systems, etc. I make normal dyno 138HP 147TQ no where near your output. A good suggestion for all would be check and tighten it twice, Loctite can be a man's best Friend.

Loose

I wondered why I got all that vibration from hitting relatively small pot holes.

Checked the bike with a friend, jacked bike front end off ground looking for looseness,

gee why did the radiator move when you lifted up on front end, closer examinations

reveals the bolt/bolts holding front motor mount and crash bars are looooooooooosse.

This was a dealer installed part, torque wrench specifications, LocTite and good night.

not bad mjbell1

not bad mjbell1 we should always check out nuts to see if the are tight:D
and our bolts also:eek:

Warp Speed Captains
TTS has the new and improved warp engine core modifications:D

:)

Looks like I am in trouble guys, I have about 3.3 hp /cubic inch from my little sidecar engine and have no blower! Seriously, the limit is only defined by what breaks and whether you can fix it,then what breaks next etc. Something like the wallet thing above.

OK, Nev... I'll keep pushing it with one more even longer duration exhaust cam as we discussed, and reset the intake cam to 105 LC. After all, somebody has to do it. :D

BTW, the eccentric seal which I need to replace is a custom unit designed by Richard at TTS. He's thinking it will take 3 fkn weeks to make a replacement! I don't think he uses this eccentric seal anymore with his new SC mount that replaces the entire front cover. SC R3 owners with the old TTS mount system would be well advised to check the screws in their eccentric seal... or be down for a month awaiting part! :eek:

OK, Nev... I'll keep pushing it with one more even longer duration exhaust cam as we discussed, and reset the intake cam to 105 LC. After all, somebody has to do it. :D

BTW, the eccentric seal which I need to replace is a custom unit designed by Richard at TTS. He's thinking it will take 3 fkn weeks to make a replacement! I don't think he uses this eccentric seal anymore with his new SC mount that replaces the entire front cover. SC R3 owners with the old TTS mount system would be well advised to check the screws in their eccentric seal... or be down for a month awaiting part! :eek:
HI HOMBRE has anyone broken a crank or rods ?? Ive never seen any posts of any failures I know your running the hell out of yours but ive heard of a twin turbo making 350 hp but dont any more about it

Back