Poss. new owner question- Commuting/tire question for the 2020 R3.

wcgreen1909

Standard Bore
Hi folks! A little background... I was working in Wyoming and about to pick up my red R3 a couple of months ago. On the day I was to sign the papers I was called in and informed I no longer had a job. Thankfully, the dealer just gave back my deposit. Jump to now- my wife and I are about to move to Wichita with new jobs. I prefer to commute on a bike and use my car only for VERY poor weather. Well, we got a place and I am looking at a 100-mile round trip commute- all interstate. I would like to ride my bike 3 days a week. So, roughly 1200+ miles a month.

Not opening a can up regarding tires, but should I get the R3, I would not be using the Avons- I want cheap and long-lasting. With this in mind, knowing what you know about the R3, would you recommend the bike for my needs? (I can only afford one bike and not one for this and one for that) I also like to ride back to Alabama every summer. So, would you be comfortable doing that kind of mileage on the R3 and needing to keep the tire cost at a minimum? I have been told you cannot get the tires mounted at Cycle Gear or anyplace like that as a certain adapter is needed for the R3 hub? Is this the case or have you or your buddies changed tires on your R3? I've read of diff options on cheaper tires and I will 10000% be going that route if I do get the R3. If I only had a 10 min commute ahead of me, I would be pulling the trigger on another R3, but this high mileage commute has me questioning what to do. I don't have another option as no other bike seems to tick all the boxes for me- muscle cruiser, removable bags, cruise, bluetooth, etc.

Love to hear any of your thoughts and opinions and thank you in advance!
B.

First let me say any bike of this size can be a long distance machine; rider dependent. That said, remember the new R3 is really an upgraded Speed Triple; but I believe it would meet your needs. I'm on a '14 R3T; which is truly setup for the long-haul use. Tire wise, for my girl I've had third party shops change the tires without issue (can't speak for the new model). Speaking of which, have you considered an older model? At your mileage, I'd be changing tires every 6-7 months... but I run Avon's and the grip/safety factor is my highest priority. I've heard others go 10-12K. Assuming you do all of your own work (except maybe tires); I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the R3 if it fits your budget. For the commute... you need to enjoy the ride.
-MIG

First let me say any bike of this size can be a long distance machine; rider dependent. That said, remember the new R3 is really an upgraded Speed Triple; but I believe it would meet your needs. I'm on a '14 R3T; which is truly setup for the long-haul use. Tire wise, for my girl I've had third party shops change the tires without issue (can't speak for the new model). Speaking of which, have you considered an older model? At your mileage, I'd be changing tires every 6-7 months... but I run Avon's and the grip/safety factor is my highest priority. I've heard others go 10-12K. Assuming you do all of your own work (except maybe tires); I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the R3 if it fits your budget. For the commute... you need to enjoy the ride.
-MIG
Thanks for that. I can do brakes and basics- I did that on the two Concours 14s that I had. No tires. I do plan to join a church bike club in the area so I could probably get help with tire changes barring the issue with the necessary adapter needed for the new R3 that I mentioned... don't know if that's the case or not... a Kawasaki tech told me that was the case. I also had a Scout not long ago, and that was my second choice- new Bobber- I loved the bike, but I am 6'4'', 220 and thought it felt great, I looked huge on it. The rocket ticks off all my boxes... I could go with a new Concours, but I really want another muscle cruiser after my M109R. Regarding models, it's gotta be the new one. Even getting a used 2020, its more of a chunk of change than a Bobber or Concours so I need to keep tire cost down even with the commute. So, lots to consider! Thanks again!

I bought the Rocket X just for that reason. Ride daily 107 miles of open highway back and forth to work. Other than maintantence and the transmission problem never had a issue. Overall the Avon Chromes work well on the highway would recommend them.

I ride my Rocket III for all kinds of long distance travel, commuting, weekend rides, canyon carving, track day, drag strip and dyno pulls. I have been on Avon Cobra since the first tire the OEM rear Metz wore out. 50K miles now. Getting no less than 10K and as much as 12K on the Avon Cobra. WORTH EVERY PENNY for the performance handling, ride comfort and mileage. You can buy them on-line for the lowest price at Rocky Mountain ATV. Get all my tire there.

Very good to know! I can live with that kind of tire performance... my fear was needing two sets a year and at $600 a pop- installed. Knowing they can last like that and that there are also some options I have seen, that's good info to know.

Back