Noob tire size question

SonOfJorEl

.040 Over
Ride
2016 Rocket 3 Roadster
Hi friends, hope all is well! The riding season is fast approaching in Canada and I wanted to get my tires swapped as soon as possible.
Ive decided on buying the Avon Cobra Chromes. The price is a little steep, but seems to be the right choice for my 2016 Roadster. based on research.
I'm a normal, nothing fancy, just a few of hours of leisurely riding every week kinda guy. The occasional long day-trip or two every month or so.
Size wise, the current (non-Avon) tires on the Roadster are as follows:
Front: 150/80 R17 72V
Rear: 240/50 R16 84V
Questions:
1. Is this the ideal tire size for this motorcycle?
2. Are there any different (or better) Front/Rear size combinations which serve different purposes?
3. For those in Canada, i'm seeing Revco.ca as the cheapest price to source these tires. Any other sources?

Good tire choice. Been using the Cobra on my 2006 ( I purchased new) since the stock Metzlers wore out. That did not take too long. The Cobras will enhance your handling and ride quality. Mine tend to last over 10,000 miles on rear and upwards of 12/14 up front. The sizes you list are the stock size. However many of us have switched to 140/75 R17 on front for even better handling. Stay with the V rated. Here in the states Rocky Mountain ATV has the best pricing.

Good tire choice. Been using the Cobra on my 2006 ( I purchased new) since the stock Metzlers wore out. That did not take too long. The Cobras will enhance your handling and ride quality. Mine tend to last over 10,000 miles on rear and upwards of 12/14 up front. The sizes you list are the stock size. However many of us have switched to 140/75 R17 on front for even better handling. Stay with the V rated. Here in the states Rocky Mountain ATV has the best pricing.
Thanks for that. I'll have to see the price of a new rim first to see if that makes sense. But I can definitely see a larger rim add to the better handling.

Thanks for that. I'll have to see the price of a new rim first to see if that makes sense. But I can definitely see a larger rim add to the better handling.
The rim size is the same. It's the profile (height) of the tire that is shorter/lower. That drops the front down slightly, which quickens steering. Many of us also go to a higher profile tire in the back (same rim) with the Bridgestone Exedra Max being the top choice there. In the front we're pretty divided on what works best. I like Dunlop American Elites.

This will be helpful (see list by @1olbull on this page)...

The rim size is the same. It's the profile (height) of the tire that is shorter/lower. That drops the front down slightly, which quickens steering. Many of us also go to a higher profile tire in the back (same rim) with the Bridgestone Exedra Max being the top choice there. In the front we're pretty divided on what works best. I like Dunlop American Elites.

This will be helpful (see list by @1olbull on this page)...
Many thanks! The Bridgestone definitely looks attractive in terms of price.
Question- Is your front Dunlop the 140/75 or the stock 150/80 size?

The front is the 140/75. That lower profile along with the taller profile in the back shortens the rake of the bike and you'll find it will handle much much better in turns and low speed manuveurs. When I first tried the combination I was surprised at the difference and it took just a little while to get used to it. For lack of a better description (and slight exageration) it will feel more Sport bike like. We have lots of twisties here and that responsiveness is the ticket- I never would go back to the stock config.

I think I've tried every front tire on the list except the Shinko and Pirelli. The Shinko is probably the least expensive, so I figured it couldn't be any good. Well, I've been running Shinko's on my 3R and very happy with them. I believe @rainman runs Shinko on his Classic.

Likewise the Cobras are probably the most expensive. Lots of folks love 'em. I have always had trouble with uneven wear with Avon tires. I'm not a fan. Many others will disagree. Cool name and cool looking tread pattern- there's that.

The Michelin Road 5 mounted in reverse is popular with many here, but I felt like you had to muscle it over in the turns.

Lots of choices (a good thing). You just need to experiment and find what works best for you.

Anyone have any intel on the Michelin Commander 3? They have a 140/75 R17 spec and Im wondering if its worth going for that over the Commander 2 since Im not finding the right size on the 2.

Another question.... due to the fact that things wont be stock, like the rear tire being slightly higher and the front being slightly lower, does anything special need to be done on the bike for which a tire change shop/dealer would try and extract $$ from me?

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't remember anyone having trouble with ABS due to a change- we're probably all staying under the allowable limits. But, no. No shop should charge any more to change to those tires.

I do my own, but that's another post.

Back