Poor Gas Mileage...?

If you have TORS tune (and TORS + Cat delete) and remove secondaries you'll be running way too lean and will need a PC or Dobec (I have the Dobec) to rectify that. Definitly get a GiPro too and may as well get tripples while you're at it. In terms of bang for your buck, you can't better these mods. The GiPro may or may not make a difference - I think it does, but I did it at the same time as removing secondaries so couldn't say for sure - but you also get the gear indicator so it's worth it just for that anyway IMO. Certainly both mods made the throttle much much more responsive and smoother, especially at low speeds and I'd never reverse either, and I really notice the extra oomph when I crack it open.

I get 28 - 33 mpg depending how I ride; even close to 40 on the highway. Don't worry about using a bit more fuel; be more concerned about a/f mix. If a few extra bucks worries you then avoid not only the performance mods but maybe don't ride a Rocket at all. :D

I have a power commander and dnd pipes, secondaries removed. Ill go ahead and put the GI in there. Last bike I had, I had the GI pro but left the secondaries and could tell a great difference in throttle resopnse. This setup without the GIPRO and secondaies removed seems just as powerful. So now I think curiosity wins on this one. BTW not riding a Rocket is not an option. Just trying to get the best mileage/power combo as possible. That comes back to air/fuel ratio though as you said.

Tim

Milage?

People ask me what kind of mileage I get and I tell them my A-4 turbo(cager)gets better mileage than my R-3 but I didn't buy it to save gas. I bought it to go FAST! I was getting 38 mpg off the show room floor but after k&n's, jardines and tuneboy I'm down to 28 to 30 depending on wether the wife is along. When Harley has their open house weekend I manage to drop even lower. Any Questions?

True I get ya, and I didnt get the bike for the mileage either. BUT, as I have had 3 rockets, I have seen the mileage all over the spectrum, so basically want to know what a "healthy" rocket is usually getting to make sure mine is on track. Not at all expecting to get 40-50 out of it or anything.

CHANGE in milage

your question was CHANGE in mileage, and not "opinions of R3 vs. whatever". I have D&D pipes K&N filter(re-mapped for both) 30mpg unless my filter gets dirty (faster than I thought too) and needs a cleaning to get back to the "usual mpg" I get. I commute 100miles in a day on freeway at 65 to 70mph to try to gauge my mpg for the past year. clean air filter (not over oiled) seems to be my individual experience with phg trouble so far.

Last edited:
I'm getting 20ish mpg with my r3t, but i go 90+ whenever I can, and that's a good bit of the time. mpg would likely improve if i stayed below 60, but where's the point in that?

Brought mine in to the local dealer to troubleshoot the gas mileage....averaged 44MPG on a 300 mile trip....beats the usual 30.... Should I be concerned?

Ticket

My first and hopefully last ticket was received yesterday. I consider the $40.00 violation and $143.00 court cost to beat any modification for fuel savings. I actually thanked the Sheriff. He may have saved my life. These **** things fly.

Back