Poor Gas Mileage...?

My first 05 rocket 24-28mpg with dyno tune kn filter
second 06 classic 35-37mpg with triples and no tune
third 05 yet to be determined. Drove both the same.

Well the results are in: I averaged 29mpg with my new setup, 2005 rocket with triple kn's butterflies removed and Hellfire's LnD custom power commander map. Funny thing, my 06 that I had averaged around 34 mpg with the same setup except that I left the butterflies. Anyone have any idea why the difference?? Thinking of getting my own custom map done for max fuel mileage. While I love power, my car is an 09 Challenger srt-8. I could use all the mileage I can get with the bike.

The secondary removals are a big gas eater mod as they are fully open in all gears. I've resisted doing it so far, but it's tempting. I can get <20 mpg around town just because the sound of cat bypass and TORS in second gear is better than, maybe equal to, a U2 concert:D

Geo

I just sold my '92 Geo Metro convertable. It had a 1.8L I think, and it got 40mpg. Yes I will miss the fuel economy but that **** thing hurt me to drive it. I think if my new Rocket gets 30 I will be happy. I will drive it just like the Geo. Floored. Like Scott had mentioned the tire size. I don't know if all touring had a skinny rear, but that is just one of many to consider. As far as alcohol, I wonder what they do to those motors to withstand the temperatures. Harder rings and valve seats? From leaded to unleaded. Bronz valve seats to steel. How does Ford get 23mpg out of a full size pickup?

Kid,
The ford doesn't run like the Rocket.

My brother-in-law fills up his harley, same time I fill up the Rocket.
he puts in half as much gas as I do.
he has one ThrottleBody, we have 3.
his puts out 1/2 the HP as mine.
I use mine.
i get about 20-21 MPG period.
My truck gets 16-17 MPG.
I'm happy with my 20ish mpg.;)

Stock '06 Classic with 24,000 miles. Roadster windscreen and Corbin Beetle Bags full. Best ever was 38 mpg riding one up. Highway only + 65 mph + right hand behaving itself.

Worst mileage was 28 mpg with a lot of stop and go traffic in the summer.

Mileage drops about 2 mpg around this time every year. Refineries are starting the summer blend to control emissions. 10% ethanol doesn't help either. If you are lucky enough to live outside a major metro area and can get gas without ethanol, congratulations. You'll have more power and better mileage.

Anyone put the secondaires back in after taking them out? Does it really increase the throttle response/HP worth the extra gas? Installing a GI pro soon too. Heard that both mods werent necessary.

TIm

Both mods aren't necessary unless you have the TORS tune. I got the gipro but because of the tune I don't get the most out of it.

Both mods aren't necessary unless you have the TORS tune. I got the gipro but because of the tune I don't get the most out of it.

Ok well then it looks as if I may have a GI PRO for sale soon! Never really liked the gear indicator on my last one anyway.

Tim

If you have TORS tune (and TORS + Cat delete) and remove secondaries you'll be running way too lean and will need a PC or Dobec (I have the Dobec) to rectify that. Definitly get a GiPro too and may as well get tripples while you're at it. In terms of bang for your buck, you can't better these mods. The GiPro may or may not make a difference - I think it does, but I did it at the same time as removing secondaries so couldn't say for sure - but you also get the gear indicator so it's worth it just for that anyway IMO. Certainly both mods made the throttle much much more responsive and smoother, especially at low speeds and I'd never reverse either, and I really notice the extra oomph when I crack it open.

I get 28 - 33 mpg depending how I ride; even close to 40 on the highway. Don't worry about using a bit more fuel; be more concerned about a/f mix. If a few extra bucks worries you then avoid not only the performance mods but maybe don't ride a Rocket at all. :D

Back