Plagued by indescision

I wish I had photos of my Old Griffin helmet from it's head on thump. Was GRP - and cracked from the impact. Had more mandibular clearance than most lids - and that is something that concerns me a bit with my current lid - AND SO FAR most I have actually tried on.

From what I understand, the more a helmet is destroyed by an impact, the more it has done it's job of reducing the impact.
Agree man. I haven't found a lid with proper front area clearance to this day, the chin bar is always too close to my mouth.
Maybe this will help???

tampa-bay-buccaneers_pg_600.jpg

I am honestly NOT convinced that JUST because a thing costs more it is better. Squawking Pidgeon Harleys would be an example.
I have always happily spent money to get the best - if it really is. But part of me wants to follow the 20/80 rule. - I am probably more a 50/95 mentality.

An example btw IS the Shoei GT AIR which only gained 3 stars in the SHARP tests as opposed to other cheaper ones.
Shoei GT Air - SHARP

It still surprises me, and often, how often the "budget" lids get stunning SHARP rating - I know this is not the ONLY resource - but it is to remark upon.
When I bought my current lid - on the list was "must have a SHARP 5 star rating". OK I would have accepted 4 - but certainly not 3 and below.
A lot of fibre lids seem to fare poorly in side impact tests - odd really.

I have had a NEXX and it was OK but not perfect - but have read the latest 2017/2018 family have a different head shape.
Had Schuberth too and they don't fit me all that well. Plus the new ones look - well - sort of ................................... odd.

Arai I cannot comment on. Somehow I have always had an aversion to them - irrational but there it is.

NOISE : A concern but I always wear plugs these days - will never need comm's etc.

White or Hi-Viz - Hmmmmm.

Thanks for the input on the GT Air and Sharp Test, thats a bit of a worry as its the sides that don't fare well. I then looked up the Shark Evoline3 out of curiosity and it gets a 5 Star. If I had to back one over the other in a crash it would have been the Shoe hands down. Neither helmet was purchased on price (last thing I was concerned over) just couldn't stop myself wearing the Shark open all the time. Selected the Shoe over a hi spec HJC, my outlaws use these and swear by them (but they ride Hondas too;)).

Interesting thread thanks.:thumbsup:

Two different categories being discussed:

Full Face - Best
Modular - forget it even has a chin bar, its a 3/4 with a wind protector, none of them actually protect the chin like a real full face.

Really, once you get to try on all the ones your considering, I'm sure the right one will stand out in the fit.

If you're really concerned about the safest possible lid, look at the Bell Race Star and Pro Star or anyone that's developed equivalent multi-density foam interior where it can vary deflection based upon shock load, it's not a revolutionary idea, but they're the first I'm aware of to properly implement it in a production lid.

I understand...just trying to put forth some input on the other option. I have never had a modular helmet, but I have a couple full face models. I know from a protection standpoint they are way better, but there are always tradeoffs. I'm not an aggressive rider like you and if I were, I would be more inclined to do something different. Near 180 Visibility, weight, comfort, not dealing with fogging issues, heat or a pin lock all factor in for me. My M1 does have pinlocks but I discovered it affected the pure clarity of the shield when I put it on...and then there was the reflection issue. I can't deal with any of that. You can dress for the slide or the ride...I compromise. I look at it this way...at least I am wearing something as many I ride with still go without... including the ones that should be wearing a helmet. Keep the wind and rain off my face if I like, no need for sunglasses, better visibility, lighter in weight, great ventilation in hot weather, a good reputation for well designed helmets, plus, well integrated audio... what's not to like. ;):rolleyes:

Agree man. I haven't found a lid with proper front area clearance to this day, the chin bar is always too close to my mouth.
Rob - it is why the NEXX is on my list. It is closer to an off-road lid. Jaw clearance.
I believe the N44 also has more clearance than most - but the only one I have seen close up was an XS.

Bugger - the Caberg lid I really wanted to see - the release date has been delayed.

BUT I have found a place in Madrid with the Nolan N44 and another with the Nexx XWED2. As Madrid is now half empty (the summer exodus) - I think I shall be popping down. tbh - the Nexx is on the top of the list.

JM2C..I'm not a full face helmet rider,only when it comes to the Rocket. I searched high and low to find a full face that wasn't claustrophobic and fit properly. I also have a rather large head that doesn't help when looking for a cool sleek helmet. I found that HJC fits all the billings and didn't break the bank. They have a large selection to pick from. My helmet is about 6 years old and HJC is constantly improving the design.

Perhaps helmets are designed to pass or exceed at certain standard tests. Thus, if it has great frontal impact strength, it may not have as much side or angular impact strength as those attributes may not be part of the standard tests. Real world crashes are never quite so simple as a standardized tests.

High strength fibers used to make light weight helmets are laid up directionally to add strength in specific directions. But they can also compromise strength in other directions. And a helmet too strong imparts more energy into the user's head. (Nice looking bucket after the crash but the soft stuff is a little scrambled.)

One of my brothers hit a deer at 60mph and flipped up and over the windscreen. He face planted into the pavement with chin bar and top of opening impacting the road, and then proceeded to bounce and finally roll down the expressway about 230ft (crash witnessed by multiple people.) His helmet was trashed as it had multiple hits from multiple directions, but he survived with only road rash and several broken bones, one in his right wrist and another in his left forearm.

His helmet was a HJC modular. Not saying this helmet is superior to any other just saying that accidents happen and impacts can come from any and all directions. His helmet fit well, stayed on his head, absorbed the impacts and didn't cause any neck injuries. Great things to have in a "crash" helmet. Test results are indicative but secondary.

I just bought the Shoei Neotec 2. Very nice helmet and the wind noise is as good or better than my Shuberth C3 Pro. I also like it much better than I the HJC RPHA Max I had. It was quieter than some but not in the class of the C3 Pro or the Neotec 2.

I bought the Sena SRL bluetooth system that integrates perfectly with the helmet as well. Very good combo so far. Venting has been pretty good in Florida so far.

The Nexx are good helmets however if your a long oval or narrow headshape I would suggest suggest the Shoei GT Air, Scuberth S2, or Aria Defiant as first choices.

The Nexxs are nice but they’re a tier down from those three in my opinion.

At this point in life, I personally don’t even care what the budget market offers. I/we can afford a nice lid and since we spend hours in them as well as rely on them for our lives cost is mostly irrelevant.

Just my “old” and “wise” two cents.

This is the last season for my Nexx XR1R probably, and I’ll be buying an Aria or a Pista next year.

The Arai Signet X has been calling to me . . .
@barbagris
Soon as you go with a drop down sun shield you loose any Snell rating.

Back