Plagued by indescision

Hmmm, SHOEI I like.
I have tried NOLAN, SHARK but the SHOEI material quality beats them all.
We do have a fairly limited range here in Aus. and they are expensive.

Buying a helmet, nearly as bad as finding gloves!

I sprung for a Shuberth M1 that was on sale along with the bluetooth SRC. I wanted something way nicer than my HJC with integrated electronics.

The flip down face shield extends way lower than my HJC and it has to be the most optically pure shield I have ever seen or ridden with. I can't tell if it is down or up sometimes. It should be perfect for $99 a pop to replace. The tinted drop down sun visor is very nice as well.

The integrated audio is a nice clean setup and can be cranked up for super loud volume as well. It works best for making and receiving a phone calls and so far no hitches. The dual microphones simply work and they are hidden and out of the way on each side of the helmet. I have not had a chance to use the communication aspect of the helmet, but the battery life seems really good. When it comes to listening to music it works very well, but the bass notes are pretty much cancelled out with wind noise you traditionally get in a helmet. Not moving, the bass response is just fine. I wish they had designed it with a standard earphone jack being available so you have the option of using earbuds as well. I haven't looked to see if I can modify it yet for that option but it may be possible if I become willing to drill a small hole along the base of the helmet for the jack.

Ventilation is the best I have found. When you open the front vent you can actually feel the air blowing across the top of your forehead. I would say hair, but I have little to speak of on that front.

Overall, I like the helmet. The fit was a little snug at first, but it is better now that it has broken in bit. It is relatively quite , but I wouldn't rate it as much above normal for a helmet. I prefer a D-Ring for the strap fastening, but I have gotten more use to the toothed catch they have used on the helmet. The last thing I would say is.... I am no longer inclined to just hang it off my handlebars when leaving my bike for a bit like I did my with my $130 HJC. You just don't leave a $500 investment hanging out for someone to snatch...and it does happen. There is no real way to lock it on the bike unless I drill a hole in the shell someplace to pass a small firearms cable lock through like I use to do before. In the past, they still could have cut off the D-Ring.

Two different categories being discussed:

Full Face - Best
Modular - forget it even has a chin bar, its a 3/4 with a wind protector, none of them actually protect the chin like a real full face.

Really, once you get to try on all the ones your considering, I'm sure the right one will stand out in the fit.

If you're really concerned about the safest possible lid, look at the Bell Race Star and Pro Star or anyone that's developed equivalent multi-density foam interior where it can vary deflection based upon shock load, it's not a revolutionary idea, but they're the first I'm aware of to properly implement it in a production lid.

Two different categories being discussed:

Full Face - Best
Modular - forget it even has a chin bar, its a 3/4 with a wind protector, none of them actually protect the chin like a real full face.

Really, once you get to try on all the ones your considering, I'm sure the right one will stand out in the fit.

If you're really concerned about the safest possible lid, look at the Bell Race Star and Pro Star or anyone that's developed equivalent multi-density foam interior where it can vary deflection based upon shock load, it's not a revolutionary idea, but they're the first I'm aware of to properly implement it in a production lid.

I've seen some tests done where the modular helmet's chin bar survives impact better than a full face. This was in the $400 plus segment.
Problem is, once you remove the chin bar, the protection is gone. I choose my times to remove the chin bar very carefully, depending on traffic and road conditions as well as what my riding style is going to be.
Strangely enough, the helmets I've really wanted, I couldn't get a comfortable fit. Be nice to see a helmet manufacturer cater for different head shapes..

Probably. I just wish I could find ACTUAL stockists - not merely online sellers. Thing is that dealers don't like the particular models I like for probably the self same reasons. I have contacted NEXX directly to ask WHO IN SPAIN (CLOSE TO MADRID) ACTUALLY HOLDS STOCK OF THE XWED2. Most NEXX dealers here and the UK seem only to stock the VERY trendy "Maria Garage" retro family.

The most comfy (and all weather) lid I have had is the one I have now. Caberg Duke. It has a flip front but I only ever open the flippy bit combined with movement to greet the customs officers. Though it also makes getting on/off less abrasive. For use in cooler climes (like say the UK) - it is ideal, but here in summer it is like a mini-sauna. I'm not sure you can get sun-stroke inside a lid - but it is a close run thing after a 3 hour run. Fitting a photochromatic Pinlock to it, cut down the heat a bit. But I need more air flow.

The XWED's predecessor (called the XD1) pretty much slammed ALL the opposition (inc Arai etc) in extensive testing. Better lid, half the price - BUT less profit. It is a "Dual-Sport" lid which means more chin space. Quite a neat sun peak too.

The New Caberg is UNASHAMEDLY aimed at the Schuberth/Shoei touring crowd. They have been VERY conservative regarding launch. It's available end July. This is what Caberg said would be launch date when I asked them last year. The VERY few first hand reports from will-be dealers are very positive - but then they would be.

tbh - I may need to wait until August - I will be in the UK again and dealers there hold stock.

I wish NEXX still offered the leather clad lids - cooler.

Last edited:
I've seen some tests done where the modular helmet's chin bar survives impact better than a full face. This was in the $400 plus segment.
Problem is, once you remove the chin bar, the protection is gone. I choose my times to remove the chin bar very carefully, depending on traffic and road conditions as well as what my riding style is going to be.
Strangely enough, the helmets I've really wanted, I couldn't get a comfortable fit. Be nice to see a helmet manufacturer cater for different head shapes..

Surviving of the helmet, deflection distance, and g-force transferred are all related but not reliant on each other.

No chance I will ever believe a modular takes a chin hit better than a full face, and SNELL agrees.

Surviving of the helmet, deflection distance, and g-force transferred are all related but not reliant on each other.

No chance I will ever believe a modular takes a chin hit better than a full face, and SNELL agrees.
I suppose you can liken it to convertible cars...a lot more material and strengthening is used so that they don't bend or flex in normal use. Crash tests are done at a standard speed limit but I'd hate to have to test it under normal driving conditions.
An impact that's gonna smash your chin guard, well, it's still gonna hurt. Sliding down the highway chin first is probably the main reason I keep it in place almost all the time..Hopefully nit will last longer than the slide.
And yet, don't see any modular helmets in the MOTOGP!:rolleyes:

Absolutely, if its enough to need a fixed chin guard, its going to hurt, period lol.

Best not to find out!

Best not to find out!
I wish I had photos of my Old Griffin helmet from it's head on thump. Was GRP - and cracked from the impact. Had more mandibular clearance than most lids - and that is something that concerns me a bit with my current lid - AND SO FAR most I have actually tried on.

Agree man. I haven't found a lid with proper front area clearance to this day, the chin bar is always too close to my mouth.

Back