Plagued by indescision

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
Sometime soonish I will need a new lid. And I am fussy (yes really - I know it is a surprise).

Must have chin protection.
Must have flip down sun-shield
Must have Pinlock (pref Max-Vision)
And of courses it must fit - though finding stockists to try on is somehow an issue. I think they are at the PRICE PAIN limit for amny - but are not in the flashy weekend warrior or must be BMW bracket.
I am concious of how close my chin is to the chin bar on my current lid (Caberg Duke)
Must have really really good ventilation. Face in winter and brain-case in summer.

1. WHITE (cooler) or Hi-Viz ? - Simply cannot decide.
  2. Options (currently): NEXX X.WED2 - Caberg Levante (Due out in July) - Nolan N44 - X.Lite 403 GT

Quandry 1. Whilst flip-ups are a compromise - there are as useful as a very useful thing on trips crossing borders as otherwise the border folk want you to take your lid of to check passport photo. And I have to be honest - they are easier to put on/ take off. But all this is by no means the deal breaker.

Quandry 2. Oddly I find that plastic lids seem to do better in a lot of safety tests than fibre ones. Odd really. And really oddly very often the Carbon ones do not fare that well in SHARPS impact tests.

Questions :
  1. Anybody with the N44 or 403GT - Can that chin bar be easily removed when you have the lid on?
  2. Anybody tried/use the NEXX X.WED2 (or precedence XD1)

The Nexx are good helmets however if your a long oval or narrow headshape I would suggest suggest the Shoei GT Air, Scuberth S2, or Aria Defiant as first choices.

The Nexxs are nice but they’re a tier down from those three in my opinion.

At this point in life, I personally don’t even care what the budget market offers. I/we can afford a nice lid and since we spend hours in them as well as rely on them for our lives cost is mostly irrelevant.

Just my “old” and “wise” two cents.

This is the last season for my Nexx XR1R probably, and I’ll be buying an Aria or a Pista next year.

The Nexx are good helmets however if your a long oval or narrow headshape I would suggest suggest the Shoei GT Air, Scuberth S2, or Aria Defiant as first choices.

The Nexxs are nice but they’re a tier down from those three in my opinion.

At this point in life, I personally don’t even care what the budget market offers. I/we can afford a nice lid and since we spend hours in them as well as rely on them for our lives cost is mostly irrelevant.

Just my “old” and “wise” two cents.

This is the last season for my Nexx XR1R probably, and I’ll be buying an Aria or a Pista next year.

I have the N44 and I also installed the intercom/BT kit. What I really like about it is how far back the opening is. Even with the visor on, it feels like an open face helmet, peripheral vision is the best that I’ve seen in a non open face helmet.
What could be better? a bit noisy...
To answer your question, I find it quite easy...can only go in one way and has a positive lacking action.

Sometime soonish I will need a new lid. And I am fussy (yes really - I know it is a surprise).

And of courses it must fit - though finding stockists to try on is somehow an issue. I think they are at the PRICE PAIN limit for amny - but are not in the flashy weekend warrior or must be BMW bracket.
I am concious of how close my chin is to the chin bar on my current lid (Caberg Duke)
Must have really really good ventilation. Face in winter and brain-case in summer.

2. Options (currently): NEXX X.WED2 - Caberg Levante (Due out in July) - Nolan N44 - X.Lite 403 GT

Quandry 1. Whilst flip-ups are a compromise - there are as useful as a very useful thing on trips crossing borders as otherwise the border folk want you to take your lid of to check passport photo. And I have to be honest - they are easier to put on/ take off. But all this is by no means the deal breaker.

Quandry 2. Oddly I find that plastic lids seem to do better in a lot of safety tests than fibre ones. Odd really. And really oddly very often the Carbon ones do not fare that well in SHARPS impact tests.

Questions :
  1. Anybody with the N44 or 403GT - Can that chin bar be easily removed when you have the lid on?

Gday I recently had this dilema as I used to run a Shark Evoline (a 2 and a 3) but found I always rode with it open unless the weather was foul. To stop this I recently purchased a new full face helmet and after much deliberation purchased a Shoe GT Air and its the nicest helmet I have ever had, real good ventilation and quiet (it was a revelation, I can ride without earplugs comfortably for the first time ever, and now see why people can hear each other with comms units). It was lightweight and the air flows good. Pinlock visor too. Have ridden in some foul weather and no leaks yet.

After using it for around 6 months I dont even notice its full face now when riding.

Shark Evoline was a nice helmet but both ones I had (was loyal to them) fogged up fiercely and leaked in the rain from new. The dealers tried to fix to no avail. Sad as I liked the design a lot.

My 10 cents worth

I have the N44 and I also installed the intercom/BT kit. What I really like about it is how far back the opening is. Even with the visor on, it feels like an open face helmet, peripheral vision is the best that I’ve seen in a non open face helmet.
What could be better? a bit noisy...
To answer your question, I find it quite easy...can only go in one way and has a positive lacking action.
+1 on the Nolan N44. It is a bit noisy, but love the helmet. Never like the tradition full helmet restriced vision.

Questions :
Re the N44 chin bar. It can be removed easily whole wearing. But reinstalling while wearing is, for me anyway, hard to do.

I am honestly NOT convinced that JUST because a thing costs more it is better. Squawking Pidgeon Harleys would be an example.
I have always happily spent money to get the best - if it really is. But part of me wants to follow the 20/80 rule. - I am probably more a 50/95 mentality.

An example btw IS the Shoei GT AIR which only gained 3 stars in the SHARP tests as opposed to other cheaper ones.
Shoei GT Air - SHARP

It still surprises me, and often, how often the "budget" lids get stunning SHARP rating - I know this is not the ONLY resource - but it is to remark upon.
When I bought my current lid - on the list was "must have a SHARP 5 star rating". OK I would have accepted 4 - but certainly not 3 and below.
A lot of fibre lids seem to fare poorly in side impact tests - odd really.

I have had a NEXX and it was OK but not perfect - but have read the latest 2017/2018 family have a different head shape.
Had Schuberth too and they don't fit me all that well. Plus the new ones look - well - sort of ................................... odd.

Arai I cannot comment on. Somehow I have always had an aversion to them - irrational but there it is.

NOISE : A concern but I always wear plugs these days - will never need comm's etc.

White or Hi-Viz - Hmmmmm.

Re the N44 chin bar. It can be removed easily whole wearing. But reinstalling while wearing is, for me anyway, hard to do.
OK - Thanks. tbh It would ONLY ever get removed on those odd occasions where I pass through the international ferry ports - Unless you have experienced the hassle it is hard to imagine. But I will have to try for myself.

I am honestly NOT convinced that JUST because a thing costs more it is better. Squawking Pidgeon Harleys would be an example.
I have always happily spent money to get the best - if it really is. But part of me wants to follow the 20/80 rule. - I am probably more a 50/95 mentality.

An example btw IS the Shoei GT AIR which only gained 3 stars in the SHARP tests as opposed to other cheaper ones.
Shoei GT Air - SHARP

It still surprises me, and often, how often the "budget" lids get stunning SHARP rating - I know this is not the ONLY resource - but it is to remark upon.
When I bought my current lid - on the list was "must have a SHARP 5 star rating". OK I would have accepted 4 - but certainly not 3 and below.
A lot of fibre lids seem to fare poorly in side impact tests - odd really.

I have had a NEXX and it was OK but not perfect - but have read the latest 2017/2018 family have a different head shape.
Had Schuberth too and they don't fit me all that well. Plus the new ones look - well - sort of ................................... odd.

Arai I cannot comment on. Somehow I have always had an aversion to them - irrational but there it is.

NOISE : A concern but I always wear plugs these days - will never need comm's etc.

White or Hi-Viz - Hmmmmm.
I agree with you mostly.....highest cost doesnt translate necessarily to highest quality. And I agree that many of the low cost lids rate high on the safety tests.

However the better lids (read higher cost) usually offer better ergos, better materials and aerodynamics considerations in the design.

I agree with you mostly.....highest cost doesnt translate necessarily to highest quality. And I agree that many of the low cost lids rate high on the safety tests. However the better lids (read higher cost) usually offer better ergos, better materials and aerodynamics considerations in the design.
Better Materials - well if they're not safer - how are they better? - Aesthetics, comfy bits - maybe I guess. Aerodynamics - OK on a track bike, maybe. Ergos - I guess I am easy. But yes I do get the point.

Back