PDM60 Installation Location and Electric Gear Outlet R3T

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
The weather wasn't too bad today so I decided to to start working on a few bike projects. I bought a PDM60 for my bike and although my wiring is nice and solid, I wanted to cleanup things and get rid of some of the inline fuses I tied to my battery, I always solder and heat shrink all my connections, plus I keep my terminal connections to a minimum by combining wires for as few terminals as possible connected to the battery.

The first order of business was to decide where to mount the PDM60 and then make a mounting plate to do it. I decided on the space as shown in the pictures using a couple existing screws but I had to keep the mounting lower than I would have like because of the air intake attached to the seat. That intake on the seat extends pretty wide and deep in the battery box area thus the low mounting. All the holes and cuts in my mount serve a purpose giving me some some straight and angled mounting options plus a cut that provides some needed flex where the bracket is mounted to the bolts. The bottom bolt does not have enough threads exposed so I may have to do a thing I have in mind using a larger hole, a coupling nut through the hole, a bolt, and a large nylon washer that will fit over the coupling nut. This should allow me to draw things down tight on the bottom mount. Anyway, it looks like it is going to work in that spot an with it angled slightly on the mount I can still see the status of the lights on the PDM60. There is a lot of nice empty space in that area and it should stay pretty dry there as well.

I also bought a different powerlet adapter for my electric jacket liner (which I now seldom use), and remounted it on the bracket I made and had on my total 2013 Rocket. A few tweaks and it fits perfect in the mount... resting just under the seat when mounted. It is out of the way and makes for a nice clean look. I did use my auxiliary receptacle at one time, but the plug would often work its way out and lose its connection on a ride. I may still tie the powerlet directly to the battery with a fuse as it makes for a good charging and alternate power source with the key turned off.

I am posting pictures to share ideas if you ever decide to mount a PDM60 or a powerlet for you heated gear. When I get thing all neat and tidy I will post more pictures. Lots to do yet including the RamAir, TOR's, Paul Bryant crossover, a new rear tire while I have things off, a new tune and maybe a front running light idea I have. Maybe even an AFR Gage.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20180322_184148.jpg
    20180322_184148.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180322_184314.jpg
    20180322_184314.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180322_184338.jpg
    20180322_184338.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180322_184636.jpg
    20180322_184636.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180322_184652.jpg
    20180322_184652.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20180322_183846.jpg
    20180322_183846.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20180322_185242.jpg
    20180322_185242.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20180322_185253.jpg
    20180322_185253.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20180322_190231.jpg
    20180322_190231.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20180322_190439.jpg
    20180322_190439.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 21
Very nice. I mounted mine on the left side of the air filter box below the three relays. Drilled a hole in the air box to allow me to plug in and change setting if necessary. My air filter box is empty because I have ramair. Not quite empty I have mounted the air compressor for the horn in there and will be putting kens keyless ignition box in there soon as it gets here.

Very nice. I mounted mine on the left side of the air filter box below the three relays. Drilled a hole in the air box to allow me to plug in and change setting if necessary. My air filter box is empty because I have ramair. Not quite empty I have mounted the air compressor for the horn in there and will be putting kens keyless ignition box in there soon as it gets here.

I would strongly have looked at that option but since I still have the airbox in play it was not an option. Pretty easy to take it out and expose the back if I need to program it. I am going to use soldered on and heat shrink bullet connectors or all my wiring. It should be good and solid when I'm done. I already have a trigger wire there as I am using my taillght wire for that purpose. It's just a matter of cleaning up wires and removing the inline fuses.

I would strongly have looked at that option but since I still have the airbox in play it was not an option. Pretty easy to take it out and expose the back if I need to program it. I am going to use soldered on and heat shrink bullet connectors or all my wiring. It should be good and solid when I'm done. I already have a trigger wire there as I am using my taillght wire for that purpose. It's just a matter of cleaning up wires and removing the inline fuses.

When you install the ramair you can remove the scoop under the seat and that will free up a bit of room for you.

When you install the ramair you can remove the scoop under the seat and that will free up a bit of room for you.

I actually didn't look to see if it was fastened on separately. I'l have to do that and then I will have some other location options.

@Bedifferent
VERY sano, sweet & functional! :thumbsup:
Nice workmanship! :thumbsup:
Like your mount plate for the PDM60 as mine just sits floating in the same place. :rolleyes:

An elderly women I use to work with at a local hardware store had this saying she always use to say. I can still hear her saying it.

"If a job is once begun, never finish till it's done. Be the job big or small, do it well or not at all".

Somehow that always runs through my head when I try to do something. I can't shake it! :mad::inlove:banghead::rolleyes:

That was a good Idea about having an opening for the programing plug @Jag....Thanks

I modified my plate so I can program the PDM60 through the plate by just taking off the two bolts that hold the mounting plate on. I'll put a little very sticky aluminum tape over the hole when not is use to keep things clean and dry. I enlarged one of the mounting plate holes for a coupling nut I partially rounded on one end using a file. It will now go through the larger hole and thread on the small threads sticking out on the battery bracket. I drilled another hole and shifted the PDM60 to the other side as I decided to run the wires underneath the mounting plate. Now there is more room to see the display LED's, more room for wires under the right side panel and a cleaner way to dress the wires out of the way. All I need to do now is wire things up when I have a notion.

Attachments

• 20180323_141339.jpg
    20180323_141339.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180323_141943.jpg
    20180323_141943.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180323_142029.jpg
    20180323_142029.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
That was a good Idea about having an opening for the programing plug @Jag....Thanks

I modified my plate so I can program the PDM60 through the plate by just taking off the two bolts that hold the mounting plate on. I'll put a little very sticky aluminum tape over the hole when not is use to keep things clean and dry. I enlarged one of the mounting plate holes for a coupling nut I partially rounded on one end using a file. It will now go through the larger hole and thread on the small threads sticking out on the battery bracket. I drilled another hole and shifted the PDM60 to the other side as I decided to run the wires underneath the mounting plate. Now there is more room to see the display LED's, more room for wires under the right side panel and a cleaner way to dress the wires out of the way. All I need to do now is wire things up when I have a notion.

Very nice! I wish I had time to do things as nice as you do!

Back