PD353 - Ignition Coil 3 circuit malfunction

Boony

Turbocharged
Ride
2010 Rocket 3 Roadster. Black and shiny.
The bike has been running rough so I changed the fuel filter and spark plugs. It seems to be running better, however I ran it and the engine warning light stayed on. I checked it with TuneECU and got the PD353 - Ignition Coil 3 circuit malfunction error.

Has anyone come across this before and more importantly does anyone know how to fix it?

I did a google search which came up with some car solutions. I couldn't find anything here though. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sounds like it's still not running perfect?
First thing to do is make sure the 2 elbowed spade connectors that connect the coil to the wiring loom are clean, good and tight.
Might need a rub, dielectric grease and a crimp.

Second although i dont see it throwing said fault I'd check the coil to spark plug "HT" lead resistance, if you have a break there the current will be arcing and resulting in hiccups/rough running

Sounds like it's still not running perfect?
First thing to do is make sure the 2 elbowed spade connectors that connect the coil to the wiring loom are clean, good and tight.
Might need a rub, dielectric grease and a crimp.

Second although i dont see it throwing said fault I'd check the coil to spark plug "HT" lead resistance, if you have a break there the current will be arcing and resulting in hiccups/rough running
Thanks for the quick reply. I will take a look.

Another question. Is coil number 3 the one behind the headstem or the one furthest away. Murphy's law says it will be the one nearest the headstem which is the hardest one to get to!

Oh, and another thing. Are there any good replacements that are not from Triumph?

Last edited:
Yes, you can buy R1 coil on plug, there's a thread here on the forums on how to do the conversion. A number of us have done it with zero reported problems.

Besides that, the stock items are pretty robust, don't hear of them failing often. There are upgrades aftermarket I'm aware of (those sold as upgrades aren't, from what I've been told).

Another question. Is coil number 3 the one behind the headstem or the one furthest away. Murphy's law says it will be the one nearest the headstem which is the hardest one to get to!

Oh, and another thing. Are there any good replacements that are not from Triumph?
Number 3 is the rear cylinder bud. Like Arto zaid check the coil leads first the spade lossen up and loose contact. Below is a picture of number two with the leads pointed out.

low tension leads.jpg

And yes number one is the hardest to get at. There is a plate on top that does nothing but clip harness plugs to. I pitched mine so i can check it easily. The wires that hooked to the plate lay in there so well you can not tell the pos plate is gone.
Hope this helps.

Number 3 is the rear cylinder bud. Like Arto zaid check the coil leads first the spade lossen up and loose contact. Below is a picture of number two with the leads pointed out.

low tension leads.jpg

And yes number one is the hardest to get at. There is a plate on top that does nothing but clip harness plugs to. I pitched mine so i can check it easily. The wires that hooked to the plate lay in there so well you can not tell the pos plate is gone.
Hope this helps.

It certainly does help. Hopefully it as simple as a bad connection. Thanks.

The connectors were loose to the point that they were barely touching. This probably explains why it was ok sometimes and bad at other times. I cleaned the connectors and squeezed them slightly with pliers. They are much tighter now. The TuneECU error message is gone. All I have to do is ride it tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully the problem is solved.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions. Your help is appreciated.

The connectors were loose to the point that they were barely touching. This probably explains why it was ok sometimes and bad at other times. I cleaned the connectors and squeezed them slightly with pliers. They are much tighter now. The TuneECU error message is gone. All I have to do is ride it tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully the problem is solved.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions. Your help is appreciated.
Ahhh... I love a happy ending!:inlove:inlove

Back