paint can rattle

3umph

Standard Bore
Been hearing alot about the rattle. On some bikes at start up the rattle is the oil pump and pump drive chain. They are both loose and some bikes do it and some don't. It does't hurt a thing cept your ears.

Since we are talking Rockets here, there are plenty of threads of those who have had the misfortune of having this happen to them. For the most part Triumph has stepped up to the plate and gone the extra mile for those who have been affected with this problem. Those who have it....know it, and hopefully will be "elgible" to have it taken care of.

Hopefully I will not have to be one of them, so far mine has run fine and I've got a great dealer who should be able to handle it (within 20 miles of home) if it ever does rear it's ugly head.

Dennis

133 dtg Dubai
134 dtg Home

oil pump chain noise usually just at cold start if you you get a noise all the time check the lower cam chain gear ive heard that get loose, when they break then you have major problems

Cam chain rattle is at 1200-1500 rpm COLD. Not at idle or anywhere else. I suspect it has something to do with harmonic resonance. 1200-1500 rpm is the spot where the lower sprocket resonates against the key if it's loose. Eventually, the harmonic vibration shears the key and because the valves are an interference fit with the piston crown, bent valves or a busted head results. Pump chain rattle is constant, actually, my rebuilt engine has a bit of rattle now. Once you hear the harmonic 'paint can rattle', you know the difference.

It's like a V8 engine. If you bring the rpm up slowly, at some distinct rpm, the engine will shake because of harmonic resonance. That's why there is a harmonic (viscous) damper on many engines, to cancel the resonated vibration.

Inline 6's and 4's are even worse because the rise and fall of the pistons are in the same plane whereas a V8 or a V6, the banks of cylinders cancel each other out to a certain extent.

Most large on road diesels because they are inline 6's have a huge harmonic dampner. If they didn't, the harmonics would destroy the crank.

The R3 has an internal counter rotating balancer because an inline 3 has a bunch of primary vibration. Japanese cars with inline 4's have a balancer shaf(most) as well. Without the balancer shaft, the R3 would shake itself apart.

Last edited:
rattle

I got a chance to "look inside" an R3 this weekend when I picked up my R3. I agree, the rattle has to be the oil pump chain and shouldn't be a concern. BTW, the transmission gears look like something you'd expect out of a diesel truck! Holy Smoke!

Took my R3 to dealer 3 weeks ago for 10,000 mile service. Then 500 miles later to a tire/repair shop to replace rear tire. Owner of the shop rode bike after replacing tire to be sure that tire was balanced and he told me that the engine had noise when reviving engine but it sounded the same to me as always. Now I have read threads on "paint can rattle" and mine sounds similiar to the audios on one of those threads. Will take to dealer next week, sure hope they didn't do the service and didn't catch the problem if in fact it does have the problem. If a person picked up on the problem and had never ridden a R3 before, it will make me wonder about the dealer. Stay tuned!

if you have to change the chain you might as well contact Nev and spunk them cams up a bit I wish I did when I had her apart. But then came Carpenter racing and now I have a lot more money to spend on the head and cams.

Back