Oil gasket seepage?

Darron1117

Supercharged
Ride
2012 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Hello Rocketeers,
Will this seepage become a concern or is it normal on 2012 Roadster w/7950 miles.

Thanks in advance.

20201002_182810.jpg
20201002_183003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is very common. Not a problem so long as it’s not pouring out. Fix it when time permits. There are literally tons of posts on this. Use the magnifying glass to search.

If you have the time I'd check the torque on the cam cover bolts. It isn't a whole lot but it is important. It does look like your cover has a crust ridge from powder coating process. On the plus not usually it squeezes out right up above #1 exhaust port.

That is very common. Not a problem so long as it’s not pouring out. Fix it when time permits. There are literally tons of posts on this. Use the magnifying glass to search.
Wow, 2 of my bolts turned with no effort at all. Were very loose.

If you have the time I'd check the torque on the cam cover bolts. It isn't a whole lot but it is important. It does look like your cover has a crust ridge from powder coating process. On the plus not usually it squeezes out right up above #1 exhaust port.
Warp, 2 of my cover bolts turned with no effort, were very loose.

Warp, 2 of my cover bolts turned with no effort, were very loose.
Wow, 2 of my bolts turned with no effort at all. Were very loose.
Well you can either retorque and hope it won’t leak, or fix it . Your choice. Those bolts are shouldered. Once they are snugged up, that’s all she wrote.
My way of doing these....clean thoroughly mating surfaces and gasket. Put together dry, torque per the manual. I haven’t had a problem after the initial leak when it was near new.

Well you can either retorque and hope it won’t leak, or fix it . Your choice. Those bolts are shouldered. Once they are snugged up, that’s all she wrote.
My way of doing these....clean thoroughly mating surfaces and gasket. Put together dry, torque per the manual. I haven’t had a problem after the initial leak when it was near new.
Got it, thanks.

My 2012 did the same thing with less mileage than yours. Several of the bolts were very loose. All I did was tighten them down which stopped the sweating. I didn't touch them again until around 38,000 kilometers when I adjusted the valves.

Why not run it to see if it continues to sweat. If it stops, all's well until you need to get into the valve train for maintenance. I'm betting it should be fine since the gasket isn't bulging out of place.

My 2012 did the same thing with less mileage than yours. Several of the bolts were very loose. All I did was tighten them down which stopped the sweating. I didn't touch them again until around 38,000 kilometers when I adjusted the valves.

Why not run it to see if it continues to sweat. If it stops, all's well until you need to get into the valve train for maintenance. I'm betting it should be fine since the gasket isn't bulging out of place.
Thanks, Gregger!!

Back