Let's include the Wix Part Number 51358. Fits snugly in the chrome can like it should, available everywhere and the added plus is that it fits the Bonnie T100, Thrux and the Standard Bonnie. Almost forgot, fits my Zero Turn lawnmower too.:D
Bought the Wix 51358 the other day. On the outside it looked like, felt like the Triumph filter. When I looked inside the Triumph Filter there was a spring valve, when I looked inside the Wix 51358, there was no spring valve at all. Not sure what else was different inside, but deterred me from fitting it.

I just ran into a bike suffering from the K&N filter flaw/recall . Not sure if its been reported here so I thought I'd post it
20171122_133350.jpg
20171122_133315.jpg

Bought the Wix 51358 the other day. On the outside it looked like, felt like the Triumph filter. When I looked inside the Triumph Filter there was a spring valve, when I looked inside the Wix 51358, there was no spring valve at all. Not sure what else was different inside, but deterred me from fitting it.
Ran that filter for the last 35,000 miles on My Rocket X. Ran the same filter on a 2005 Bonneville America for well over 100,000 miles.

Ran that filter for the last 35,000 miles on My Rocket X. Ran the same filter on a 2005 Bonneville America for well over 100,000 miles.

What would the spring AussieMick refers to be for? Does it actuate a bypass built into the filter, or maybe an anti drain back, like a check valve??

What would the spring AussieMick refers to be for? Does it actuate a bypass built into the filter, or maybe an anti drain back, like a check valve??
My guess is that it is the bypass valve. For $14 per Triumph Filter every 5000 km, I am happy to spend the money for peace of mind. I use a highly rated and expensive Motul 300v oil, so would be silly for me to skimp on the filter.

My guess is that it is the bypass valve. For $14 per Triumph Filter every 5000 km, I am happy to spend the money for peace of mind. I use a highly rated and expensive Motul 300v oil, so would be silly for me to skimp on the filter.
I agree with using only the Triumph specific filter. You can get them for $10 if you buy in bulk on sale. Using a filter made for a car on a motorcycle is like using a tire made for a car on a motorcycle (Oh-Oh).

Triumph OEM oil filter T1218001 is made by Wix (who list 51358 as their Rocket III oil filter)

Personally I've mostly used K&N 204 filter, and my spare Rocket engine came with a K&N 191 on it.

Last edited:
Back