Greg for what it is worth
I went back to reusable filter sold by K&P sure it is not as microfiltering this or that but in the real world that really means very little it is just a marketing gimmick . however being able to open the oil filter mix varsol in the filtration shake and pour over a cloth you SEE what goes through your engine ( big difference) if there is metal you SEE IT then running a magnet over the metal flakes you also see whether or not you have an internal problem and that is worth a lots of beans .
in aviation we used this method on ALL radial engines to ascertain the health of motors every 50 hrs spent in the air and we did at times find metal meaning potential problems before they would become really serious, so experience has dictated my position on oil filters. I only once found metal in one of those reusable filters I was riding a H-d softail fatboy found a camshaft getting worn beyond specification and had to change it. I believe I saved myself a godly chunk of change then, so if you decide to go that route you won't be sorry they sell for $100 . cheap insurance really and peace of mind each time you change oil and LOOK at what goes inside your engine

Patrick, which radial engines did you play with??? Any Pratt and Whitney???
r1340-1a.jpg

Patrick, which radial engines did you play with??? Any Pratt and Whitney???
r1340-1a.jpg
all of them P&W from beech 18 , dc-3, dc-4 , (dc-6 , my favorite R2350)) and believe it B-25 that picture of an at-6 trainer shows what looks like a P&W single row don't remember the code but same as what is on the famous beaver pulling 450 bhp at T/O power. my avatar dc-4 retardant bomber flying and bombing a fire in the nwt canada

There is a primal feel -- sadly seems to only appeal to men -- from the deep throated sound of power, be it those beautiful radials, standing close to a steam engine first moving, our beloved Rockets . . .

My 2014 R3T has the chrome cover . . .

all of them P&W from beech 18 , dc-3, dc-4 , (dc-6 , my favorite R2350)) and believe it B-25 that picture of an at-6 trainer shows what looks like a P&W single row don't remember the code but same as what is on the famous beaver pulling 450 bhp at T/O power. my avatar dc-4 retardant bomber flying and bombing a fire in the nwt canada

Yea, that Picture has an R-1340 on the AT-6 - Back when I was a wee lad, I worked for a small, family owned business at the airport here in Tyler; Holland Aircraft Engine Service. We built R-1340's, 985 Wasp & sometimes Lycoming Radial's. Most of our business was from the R-1340's & 985's for the Agriculture pilots who still used them on the AG Cat's & Air Tractor's from crop dusting the large cotton fields. Also did quite a few R-1340's for a bunch of the guys that have the AT-6's that they refurbish for "toys" (and we think we have an expensive hobby). We had quite a few of the T6's flying in the air shows up in Oshkosh & the air races out in Reno.
I know every part, nut, & bolt of those Pratt & Whitney's! Started off as a parts inspector, magnafluxing all parts to check for cracks, measuring the parts for tolerances to be re-used or replaced & then the last several years I was there I got to build the beasts! I assembled every part of the engine assembly except for the Blower (supercharger) - The "old man" always got to do that :cool:
Anyway, I could talk for days about all the processes we did at that shop, but my favorite part was always when finished building them they put them on a test stand & ran em off slowly through all of the RPM ranges for about 3 hours (I'm hard of hearing now... Duh)
Well, that's as close as I ever got to flying an airplane.
I bet you have some great stories...... I hope someday to get to come up your way for that T-bone & cold beer. would be some great conversation :D
Have a good one,
Clint

c8b580f7e49d1d68056841c5adb0d12c.jpg
CAC_R-1340_Wasp_S1H1-G_Clearance_index_chart_1_of_2.jpg

Last edited:
What is the original filter specs? I´m thinking bypass-pressure and such. Anyone know?
TIA

Heres´s specs for purolator ML16817 wich according to Purolator is for the Rocket. Maybe someone besides me likes the data on thread and stuff.

O.D. 2.57
Height 2.95
Relief Valve P.S.I. 9-12
Threads M20x1.5-6H
Type of Filter Spin-on Oil Filter
Anti-Drain Back Valve Yes

Rocket III oil filter

If you are looking for a high end Nano fiber oil filter I use the AMSOIL EaOM 103. This is a black filter. It cost more then paper filters but the nano fiber material doesn't degrade under heat, has great flow volume and the filter efficiency is 98.70% Absolute at 15 microns vs 39.39% for conventional paper filter. Costs more but protection is priceless. They make nano fiber oil filters that I can use on my car too.

AMSOIL Products for the 2010 TRIUMPH Rocket III 2.3i (2294)

Back