OBD2 plug on bike only has 3 pins?

cskals

.040 Over
Ride
R3 standard 2005
Hi guys
Got tuneecu for Android, got the kable, found the obd on the bike and got surprised that only 3 wires are there.
Shouldn't there be more?
And tuneecu can't connect to the bike either.

Attachments

• 14946841764251058996503.jpg
    14946841764251058996503.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 17
mines the same. connected to tune ecu ok though, after a couple of tries

make sure you have installed the correct driver for the cable

Been a while since I checked, but back when -- I too purchased the Android version and couldn't get it work -- meaning in my case -- it would connect, but wouldn't do anything. Wondering why I paid the money, I went back to the TuneECU site and scrolled waaaay down to find a list of exceptions for the Android version and the Rocket III was on the list.

So I have a laptop running Win10 and the free version. With the cheap computers available these days, I'd suggest it's worth it to get a two-year old device, replace the solid-state drive, reinstall the operating system, and have a "TuneECU box".

Tune ECU is so useful, it would be worth having that as long as you have your Rocket.

Been a while since I checked, but back when -- I too purchased the Android version and couldn't get it work -- meaning in my case -- it would connect, but wouldn't do anything. Wondering why I paid the money, I went back to the TuneECU site and scrolled waaaay down to find a list of exceptions for the Android version and the Rocket III was on the list.

So I have a laptop running Win10 and the free version. With the cheap computers available these days, I'd suggest it's worth it to get a two-year old device, replace the solid-state drive, reinstall the operating system, and have a "TuneECU box".

Tune ECU is so useful, it would be worth having that as long as you have your Rocket.

Thanks for the information, but the only reason I tried to use the Android app was because I could not get the pc freeware to connect either.

Exact same error comes up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170513-172600.png
    Screenshot_20170513-172600.png
    145.4 KB · Views: 12
So the next thing -- if you haven't already done it -- the cable is critical because the cable part of it is not what is important. The ECUs on our bikes have a protocol that was not driven by the consumer computer industry, and as such, needs interpretation, and at the machine/chip level this is complicated, so the most efficient and reliable way (speed is an issue as well) is to have a dedicated chip do the translation between the ECU communication channel and the USB interface. The LonElec (London Electric) people took the translation chip and embedded it in their connector. TuneECU looks for that chip -- NOT/NOT your ECU. So if you don't have the LonElec cable, that is your next step, then you will find you connect -- and still, the Android version will allow you to "see" your ECU, but not do anything with it.

The problem with making a dedicated TuneECU box is that it should run Windows! An unacceptable solution. I hear the windows version of of TuneECU will run fine on MacOS with WINE and X for mac. Well that's expensive, but WINE is available for Linux and it's cheap to build a Linux box. So that should be the recommended way.

Back