OBD Speedometer/Tachometer

AmLit

.020 Over
Ride
‘05 Rocket III,
I've got an '05 with the typical speedometer failure.

Will any of the OBD based speedometers work on the 2005 (or any model year)? Has anyone tried it? Is it a different canbus language?

If not....what technical info do I need to know in choosing a speedometer? I'm under the impression the earlier models have more flexibility/options for speedos, but I don't know why.

Any guidance is appreciated!

Try the Garmin Mechanic + Ecoroute. It will give you many gauges, up to five at a time + GPS if you want it. An antenna plugs in to your OBD11 port and sends signals to your GPS by Bluetooth. I've had mine for several years now and love it.

In 1982 I was already too old to be Mr Anything.

Early models (so REAL ROCKETS :p ) HAVE NO CANBUS - so will run fine without the OEM speedo.

You will get some basic OBD-I ( not II) data out of the Connector (which includes SPEED and RPM) - So yes you could use one. You would also get some stuff like a Voltmeter and Engine Temp. Plus have the advantage it would show WHAT THE ECU sees and not the somewhat optimistic values deliberately put into the OEM clocks.

It would indeed be a simple way to get "a speedo". But be aware that the OBD connector is ALWAYS POWERED. Depending on the device - You might need to unplug when parked up. And in countries where an ODOMETER is required by law or insurance company (somewhere hidden in the grey matter I remember somebody hitting an issue with this) - you might have issues.

I know in the past folk have used the SCANGAUGE-II. Somewhere I have a "Virtual Instruments" Cluster that works fine - BUT was/is IMPOSSIBLE TO SEE in strong Light. Even in the car. I bought it to have MPH when driving the missus car in the UK.

And this WILL be the main issue. I have yet to see any ordinary LED or LCD display that works well in bright sun. Think Mobile Phones. The OLED family are much better and colour TFT are certainly visible. But so far I have not seen a TFT-OBD setup.

And importantly on a bike - MUST BE WATERPROOF. Hope that helps.

HUD devices are a REAL PITA to try and setup on a bike. Tried - And it is far more complex than you'd think.

What about other early Triumph clusters? obviously the wiring and plugs would need to be sorted out.

Starting bid: AU $250.00
Triumph T595 955i Gauges Instruments Dash Speedo Tacho | eBay

Back