A specific speedometer issue...911

Bee Aitch Pee

.020 Over
Ok, so my 2005 Rocket 3 has about 16,000 miles on it. This summer, out of the blue the speedometer quit working. On start up the needle sweeps, lights work but underway...no needle. No movement of the Odometer either...in fact, it now reads 911! So I figured, it’s throwing a code. Tons of forum searching and a visit to my dealer...nobody has seen this before (the 911 part anyway) the dealer said ‘it’s probably a speed sensor” put a new one on...no joy. Nothing changed. They said they talked to Triumph and I need a new speedo. But I will lose all of the mileage. I was planning on selling the bike...but now any resell value is shot (I wouldn’t believe me “oh, it’s 13 years old and has 16,000 miles...but I just put a new speedo on it’)

Any ideas? Ever heard of the 911 deal? Where is the mileage stored? I assumed in the ecu but I’m told, no. I could get a used speedo but can’t seem to find one.

I feel your pain. I also have an 05 and my speedo died at 100k but mine was different. I get no needle sweep but the lights do work.
I'd agree with your idea that it must be a code. My odo still shows a number and sometimes adds miles but maybe 1 out of 100. 911 must be a code.
Once or twice a year while underway my speedo needle will jump up to the correct speed just long enough for me to see it and drop back to zero. I've tried looking for a bad ground and used all my best swearwords but nothing. Oh well like you say, no resale now.... might as well ride it, so I did until 200k and bought an 08. Still have the 05 and it's way faster by the way.
Sorry I can't help with the techno voodoo.
R3D

I had the same symptoms a few weeks ago. Can't remember the code,but it was saying that the road speed sensor was not working. It turned out to be a broken wire in the harness leading up to the clocks.
It might be worth a check with a multi meter.
Good luck.
Gruff

Back