OBD2 Scanner for additional Gauges for my Rocket

John Miller

Supercharged
Ride
2011 Rocket 3 roadster
I am keen to try two different scanner packages on my rocket, I really wanted live coolant temp, voltage, engine load and maybe fuel consumption data for my reference.

There are quite a few scanner options out there none are waterproof so I will need to ensure the instrument can remain dry, bit of a work in progress I guess.

Also thinking about using an OBD2 HUD for a car to show data on my screen as a final trial - it doesn't appear too hard to do actually.

Anybody out there doing this or done it before, I am interested to know your experiences, problems etc.

Bear in mind that the R3 is NOT ODB2 - despite the plug. A lot of OBD2 PIDs are not available.

HUD on a bike is a can of worms. I have tried - but you need it to be waterproof and you fill need a FLAT screen to project onto. You will also need to make sure the reflective surface offers good contrast or in daylight you won't see it.

But EVEN SO I may one day have another go.

Check out Garmin Mechanic. I have had it on my Touring for several years now. It gives you all the Gauges you could dream of. up to 5 can be displayed at once on the GPS screen. I put my Nuvi inside a cheap waterproof cover and it has been in all kinds of weather with no problem.

Yes the Garmin Mechanic is a good option, a shame it does not display on the Zumo. It does display on the phone no problems though so if you have your phone mounted on the bike whilst riding it shows real time detail

Back