O2 sensor and 12 minute tune (with TuneBoy)

RocketandRollit

Can't be accurately measured
Ride
2007 R3 Classic Ltd.
I'd like some input on turning off the O2 sensor or leaving it on.
Also, there seems to be conflicting information about the 12 min. tune.
Some say it needs to be done, some say it's a waste.
I'd like some answers based on facts, not opinions.
Anyone.....?

I exchanged a couple of emails with Wayne of the subject. He recommended leaving the O2 sensor engaged. Since it only effects the mixture in closed loop there is no risk to the engine. Having watched the transition to open loop on my Scangauge, its obvious that any aggressive application of the throttle will immediately switch to open loop and the Tuneboy tune takes over.

Having run both ways, the only difference I noticed was slightly better fuel mileage with the O2 sensor connected. Wayne made no mention of the ECU overwriting the tune.

Also, if you're going to disable the O2 sensor in Tuneboy you need to either remove the sensor or install the Dynojet part to bypass the sensor. If you do neither it will receive no power and will be damaged in short order. Not a big deal as long as it is disabled, but it will not function should you want to enable it at some point down the road.

I removed it using the tune boy as I have no idle stepper motor or map sensor with the blower set up thus I want the A/F I programed to be what it is. I did opt to install a Wego IIIwide band A/F unit that was recommended to me by Walt aka Hombre. I find it very usefull in monitoring the A/F under different conditions of boost and stores info to down load on my laptop. the soft ware come with it. I can record a while and then check the mixture compared to rpm and throttle postion. it is a wee bit pricy but I would do it again.

Back