no chrome exhuast

nightrocket

.040 Over
OK iv seen it, whats the best way to black out an exhaust, i think i like that direction. haven't read anything about it in the forums, also what is a preferred way to black out other metal parts that are not subject the heat the exhaust is?

Attachments

• rocket black jars.jpg
    rocket black jars.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 194
OK iv seen it, whats the best way to black out an exhaust, i think i like that direction. haven't read anything about it in the forums, also what is a preferred way to black out other metal parts that are not subject the heat the exhaust is?

The best would be ceramic coating for the pipes and powder coating for the non-heated parts. Here's a link where I had a bunch of coating done for my Midnight Warrior. They can pretty much do the powder coating in any color. I recommend the 2000 degree ceramic coating for the pipes (both inside and out).

You can see my ceramic coated pipes in the toys & testimonials section. The side shield in one pic is the matte black powder coating and the pipes are 2000 degree ceramic.

www.proplating.com

John

Last edited:
i like it....anyone know of one a little bit more west coast as i live in idaho? i guese i could have my pipes crossing the states a few laps before i get them:)

I’ve heard ceramic coating is very susceptible to chipping and you can’t touch it up.:confused:

You have them mixed up. Powder coat is high temperature cured so it's like porcelain. Brittle and susceptible to chipping. HT ceramic coating, like Jet Hot isn't. If you look in my album at my Bonnie, the head pipes are HT ceramic coated. That's Jet Hot Sterling. It's similar in luster to dull chrom and gets more shiny as it ages. It's guaranteed for 2500 degrees. I took a propane torch to it and had no effect whatsoever. They are coated inside and outside.

i like it....anyone know of one a little bit more west coast as i live in idaho? i guese i could have my pipes crossing the states a few laps before i get them:)

Ace powder coating in Idaho Falls. He did a bunch of stuff for me when I lived there last year. Talk to Randy. Gotta keep an eye on their QC as I had a few pieces that needed to be redone til I was satisfied.

I hear there's one in Mountain Home, but I don't have any first hand experience.

I believe proplating in Wisconsin will let you ship them. I hand delivered and picked up mine in person. Proplating is the best I've dealt with. They spend a lot of time on the prep. YMMV.

Ceramic for me

I just had my Staintune exhaust ceramic coated and they work and look great. No problem with chipping and they run a little cooler.

Had mine done at Cradin Industries in Boerne, Texas. They also do tatoos with the ceramic if you want. Price depends on detail of the design. The turn around time is 3-5 business days and they did excellent work.

Talk to Craig. info@Cradin.com

OK

The big question is how much $$ is to have an exhausts system done.
What I would like to do is have every nast chrome piesce on my bike done in gloss ceramic.
Will they done my rimmmmmsss:rolleyes:

Fyi

Paul...... Here's the information Cradin Industries sent me prior to them doing my exhaust. They did all three pipes, 3 Rivco exhaust flange covers and a few other small parts. Mine cost approximately $225 including shipping back to K.C.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for cost, its a very simple mathematical calculation: pipe O.D. X Pipe Length X pi; which gives you total surface area to be coated. We have simplified the calculation by using an 1-3/4" pipe cost $1.25 per inch to coat. The smaller the O.D the lower the cost, the larger the O.D. the higher the cost.

Tattooing starts at $50 per individual tattoo.

We have accomplished systems for under $150 and over $675. It all depends on the surface area and what the customer wants.

1. Ceramic Coating is normally total application of the exhaust system. Tattooing is a creative art form employing silhouette designs which are applied over the target area's sub-strait...whether that is black, silver or the original chrome.

2. Ceramic Coating is a functional high temperature thermal coating...your choice of color are limited to black or silver.

3. Our silver finish has a highly polished aluminum look; the black is somewhat of a semi-gloss.

4. We apply over chrome every day. Paint...no way. The coating's cure temperature is 550 F.

5. As previously stated...it is a mathematical calculation based on total surface area to be coated. Additional cost come in to the equation based on masking and tape off requirements. Our tattooing process is definitely labor intense

Back