Given how Triumph didn't promote or give any love to the R3T when the bagger craze was taking off, I just don't think it's of any interest to them.
That said I would like to see them at least offer a version of the Road King if you will. Full fenders, full size seating spaces, hard bags, CC, windshield, and a 6th gear that significantly lowers RPM at freeway speeds.

I think the biggest hurdle for sales of such a bike would be pricing it competitively. You can already buy a base Road Glide or Indian Challenger for less money than an R3.

True, but I still think it would be a sales challenge in the market place when a prospective touring bike customer looks at what is basically a Triumph Road King and then notices for less money they could get a sound system, fixed fairing, touch screen, etc., etc. Especially in the case of the Challenger which has a powered windscreen and a reputation for good power.

True, but I still think it would be a sales challenge in the market place when a prospective touring bike customer looks at what is basically a Triumph Road King and then notices for less money they could get a sound system, fixed fairing, touch screen, etc., etc. Especially in the case of the Challenger which has a powered windscreen and a reputation for good power.
Oh I agree completely, we own a new Challenger. It is quite fast and out runs most other American V twin cruisers. I just don't see Triumph going full on touring bike with the R3 engine. Road King style at most but that is what most on here are looking for. I think this new bike has gone to far to the sporting side to to dress it up as a real touring bike. The redesign money alone would make it hard to compete at the price point where the others are already.

Hey I don't mind being wrong on this one.

It seems fairly straight forward. The old frame, adjust for the placement of the 2.5 power plant, use what they have either the old hard saddlebags or maybe let a supplier design a bag. Do the same thing with a captain's chair/trunk. The front end can be flexible. Windshield or for a price a fairing. Nobody that owns a 2.3 R3T complained about the size or lack of it. I don't see a big cost in the design of a New R3T. Most of it is done.

Triumph should grow a set of nuts. Dive in and build a full touring bike based on the 2500. It would sell. Redesigned from the ground up with style. No need to use old parts or copy another make. Just make it a functional well designed touring bike. Could you imagine pulling up on challenger or Goldwing riding a 2500 triumph touring bike (PRICELESS):D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Oh I agree completely, we own a new Challenger. It is quite fast and out runs most other American V twin cruisers. I just don't see Triumph going full on touring bike with the R3 engine. Road King style at most but that is what most on here are looking for. I think this new bike has gone to far to the sporting side to to dress it up as a real touring bike. The redesign money alone would make it hard to compete at the price point where the others are already.

Hey I don't mind being wrong on this one.
BMW is coming out with a touring model of their new 1800. If they can do it why can't triumph do it with the 2500. Triumph has been attempting to attract new customers with some slick machines but I do not see many Bonneville's out on the road. Then again they did sell out all the TFC rockets according to their website. One for sell brand new in OKC so much for that. So instead of following the trend and build bikes that look similar to other makes they should step out and really go there own way. Road-king style would not work. A serous well designed full touring bike would upset the touring world no matter what the cost. I would leave the trailer hitch as a option:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Last edited:
I think Triumph believes the actual 'touring bike' is a thing of the past. Watching HD touring bikes not sell year after year and Triumphs own attempt at a touring bike didn't sell as many as they had hoped. Maybe with the Indian Challenger taking off they may rethink an actual honest to goodness touring bike. I just believe they are into the hipster crowd I mean, look at all of their advertisements and commercials. Hipsters bar hop to the nearest Brewpub and wear extremely tight clothes. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Back