The Touring model since its inception in 2008 hasn't changed and was/is not a true cross country touring bike. Missing too many of the systems true die hard tour rider require. Of course it didn't sell well to that segment of the market. Its like offering flip flops to professional tennis players.

The Touring model since its inception in 2008 hasn't changed and was/is not a true cross country touring bike. Missing too many of the systems true die hard tour rider require. Of course it didn't sell well to that segment of the market. Its like offering flip flops to professional tennis players.
We do have many opinions about the Touring bike. I bought the R3T specially because I wanted a cross country bike that did not have all the useless to me crap Harley Touring, Goldwings, BMW... bikes have. The 2 things I want that do not come on the touring are cruise control and heated grips. I do not want the big cowling up front, nor the entertainment center, nor the ride controls. I require a capable bike from the distance, comfortable and able to carry all my stuff.
I am not the truest die hard tour rider I suppose. I have only taken 10 multi-state trips since I got the bike. Darn work gets in the way...

The R3T was built in 2008. The only visible change was the anti-lock brakes. If Triumph made other changes, I don't know what they were. I had a Road King before my Rocket. Surprisingly similar bikes. The Rocket just outperformed the Harley. Also, very little vibration. It made for a nice comfortable bike I could ride all day. Adding the fairing and the trunk/seat changed how the bike handled. But the cycle always had the power to get me out of the crowd... A new machine with the modern changes will make for a quality option to the few touring bikes out there.

How many people would like to see a new rocket 3 that is set up for 2 up touring.
Wants: Hardbags, not some soft bags with zippers.
Windscreen of modest size or a fairing that does not look like a Harley fairing.
Seats for both driver and passenger that are comfortable so you do not have to immediately go aftermarket for new ones.
I don't need a radio but gps would be nice.
Of course cruise and heated grips but I believe the new bikes have this.
A trunk that can be removed when you don't want it.
I just feel the grand touring 2020 rocket does not look much like a grand tourer to me.

The 2020+ Touring model should have:

Frame-mounted fairing....
Hard-bags, trunk, lowers, all quickly removable....
Integrated Nav-Audio system....
Full Instrumentation....tach, volts, engine temp, TPMS...
Cruise, heated grips, USB charging port(s)

I would say a bigger tank than 4.8 Gal @ 32MPG even though the 2020 Honda GoldWing has 5.5Gal with 42MPG and Indian Roadmaster has 5.5Gal. The BMW K1600 has 7Gal with 41MPG.
In the Continental U.S. it seems that the longest distance between gas stations is 167 miles in Nevada so the 2020 GT may not make it if the specs are true.
In Alaska it is 240 miles between Deadhorse and Coldfoot so even my 2005 with 6.4Gal won't make it without a supplemental tank.

Floorboards.
Crash bars.
Lower wind deflectors.
Partner with Corbin to design the fairing & bags & 2-up seat. Quick detach too.
Pre-wired for tow hitch and extra lighting.
Smaller touring tire.

On second thought, don't bother. I would just get the Indian...

Back