New Risers But Now No Clutch

Post mortem on my installation of Rivco risers...on an '06 Classic...

Unlike Gunshots, I found that re-routing of clutch cable, throttle cables and front brake line was needed. Everything went OK, but took much longer than hoped for. The brake line relocation bracket supplied by Rivco had to be modifed (with the help of a drill press) in order to avoid conflict with the radiator trim. Also, getting the old risers off was not real fun due to the lock nut put on the stock bolts. Just make sure you have an extra set of hands every now and then to hold stuff and make adjustments.

One ride told me it was worth the effort. Can now lean back and take a rest on those long trips.

It seem no two bike are the same. I installed the air horn under the left side cover, only to find the evap canistor for the California bike just where the horn was going, whats this bike doing in Michigan:confused:

Ronegade

Hell-o!

I find myself in the same position, New Risers But Now No Clutch.
I was wondering if someone could drop a few lines on getting out of this problem. I tried turning the actuator lever counterclockwise to increase spring tension but it stops about halfway around. I dont want to force it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron

Welcome aboard Ron,
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer your question.
If not post a new thread with your question,
someone will see it.
Welcome from Oklahoma.
What you riding anyway?

The actuator shaft has to be pre-loaded approximately 1/4 turn from the relaxed position. There is an internal spring and that has to have tension on it.

I'm going to surmise that you took the actuator arm off the actuator shaft in your zealous approach to removing the cable.....

In the future, don't take it off. It's like a mousetrap.

Here's what you do. Take the actuator arm off the shaft (loosen the pinch bolt and remove it and then slide the arm, up and off the shaft). Take the shaft in your fingers an rotate it counter clockwise until you feel it come up against the internal spring. Replace the arm in the correct position, tighten the pinch bolt to 9Nm. Don't overtighten it, the arm is die cast and won't take a lot of torque. You'll strip the threads.

Most bikes (not all) have 2 reference punches, one on the shaft end and one on the actuator arm. You'll have to get down there to look and look closely. If they are there, just align the marks while holding the actuator shaft (with your fingers only) against the inernnal spring. That will put the actuator arm in the correct position.

Hopefully, the Rivco instructions don't advise taking tha arm off the shaft to install the risers because it's easier in the long run to just loosen the cable adjustment nuts and and remove the cable, but then I don't consider the folks at Rivco to be the brightest bulbs either.

Don't forget to set the correct freeplay at the handgrip. 2-3mm of slop between the base casting and the handlever. Without the freeplay, the acruator spring (internal) rides the lifter and failure of the lifter mechanism will result in pretty short order. ALWAYS maintain that 2-3mm at the handgrip. Check it often, like everytime you ride.

The is little movement between engaged plates and free plates, maybe 0.250" or less. That's why it's a wet multiplate clutch versus a dry unit. Dry clutches take much more movement to disengage.

A shop manual is a good thing. I suggest purchasing one.

Ronegade

Yo XHDSKIP and SIDECARFLIP!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm tearing up the streets of Phoenix with a 2008 Rocket with extra black parts. I had about 17 chrome parts painted black. Not too obsessed. Also thanks a real lot for the clutch cure SCF. I called a couple of dealerships about my dilemma and they didn't understand me. They told me to adjust the nuts at the bottom of the clutch cable. I told them to adjust their own nuts. Anyway I appreciate the help. I wasn't up for taking off the clutch cover for no good reason.
Over and out,
Ron

I too bought the Rivco Risers. One wintry (mid-September!) Saturday dove into the instructions. Was able to get the Clutch cable off the lever - never even crossed my mind to mess with the other end.

I made it as far as the throttle. I've changed out one on my old 85 Honda Elsinor XR600 - similar set up as am sure most are. 'Thought better of continueing after realizing I hadn't taken care when sliding the throttle housing to the end of the bar - I yanked/broke the heated hand-grip wire off. Dropped the bike off for a bunch of other "stuff" including new rubber (Avon) and for them to tack on the hour of labor to install the risers. Now have nice comfortable riser, back rest and no heated hand grip on the right side!!! :mad:

Back