New ECU and no start?

I ordered the ECM from the parts guy and had it mailed to my house (along with some other needed parts). I did not think of talking to the service department about having it set up as I did not know about the dealer set up requirement. Boy I hope that cures my problem without going through the nut roll of replacing parts until it runs! You would think Triumph would have some kind of notice sent with the new ECU explaining the requirement.
My thoughts exactly there should have been some sort of "Attention Notice" on package

Problem solved and lesson learned! Took the bike to the dealer to unlock the ECM and download the TOR tune. She now fires right up and idles perfectly. Here is what I learned: ALL Triumph ECMs are delivered from the factory (whether installed on a new motorcycle or sold over the counter) in a "locked" configuration. The ECM will not function properly until unlocked by the dealer using Dealertool with the special code available to them on triumphdealer.net. If you try to download a tune before the dealer unlocks the ECM, you will get the P1605 (tune lock code) with flashing MIL indicator on the gauge. The dealer did state that all new Triumphs had to be unlocked as part of the post delivery procedures, but did not know that over the counter ECMs were also locked. He thought the new bikes were locked to prevent theft until set up. The theft part kind of makes sense as he has only three tries to unlock the ECM. On the third try, the ECM will completely lockout and must be returned to Triumph to be unlocked. By the way, once unlocked by the dealer, the ECM is open to allow tune changes!
The dealer did state that he had never ever seen an ECM fail in a Triumph motorcycle. He also stated that he had seen problems with intermittent operations of the ECM due to bad or corroded battery cable connections. So I surmise the ECM usually shuts down the fueling to the injectors if it detects a voltage problem. If however you have a supplemental fueling device (I had the AFR4+ connected), the device will keep the engine running by pulling fuel outside of the ECM. This allows the engine to continue running which causes the ECM to overheat and fry. I think this is why mine died. Now the only way to confirm this is by having a volunteer pull the positive cable off the battery while at engine idle to see if it shuts down or fries. Anyone want to "fall on the sword" and confirm this for the group?

Last edited:
Problem solved and lesson learned! Took the bike to the dealer to unlock the ECM and download the TOR tune. She now fires right up and idles perfectly. Here is what I learned: ALL Triumph ECMs are delivered from the factory (whether installed on a new motorcycle or sold over the counter) in a "locked" configuration. The ECM will not function properly until unlocked by the dealer using Dealertool with the special code available to them on triumphdealer.net. If you try to download a tune before the dealer unlocks the ECM, you will get the P1605 (tune lock code) with flashing MIL indicator on the gauge. The dealer did state that all new Triumphs had to be unlocked as part of the post delivery procedures, but did not know that over the counter ECMs were also locked. He thought the new bikes were locked to prevent theft until set up. The theft part kind of makes sense as he has only three tries to unlock the ECM. On the third try, the ECM will completely lockout and must be returned to Triumph to be unlocked. By the way, once unlocked by the dealer, the ECM is open to allow tune changes!
The dealer did state that he had never ever seen an ECM fail in a Triumph motorcycle. He also stated that he had seen problems with intermittent operations of the ECM due to bad or corroded battery cable connections. So I surmise the ECM usually shuts down the fueling to the injectors if it detects a voltage problem. If however you have a supplemental fueling device (I had the AFR4+ connected), the device will keep the engine running by pulling fuel outside of the ECM. This allows the engine to continue running which causes the ECM to overheat and fry. I think this is why mine died. Now the only way to confirm this is by having a volunteer pull the positive cable off the battery while at engine idle to see if it shuts down or fries. Anyone want to "fall on the sword" and confirm this for the group?
Nope! Thanks for posting. It's good stuff to know.

:eek:Reckon most must pass on that it would be expensive sword to fall on:(:(:banghead:

@Neville Lush I believe you got this sorted by getting the existing one fixed according to a later post of @Mittzy.

From what I have seen NOT ONE online dealer parts listing appears to identify the correct ECU part numbers for Roadster models.
The key issue to determining suitability besides @HansO 's earlier post re Tunes, is the VIN that MUST have the correct VIN code for ABS inclusion models. A key point of confusion is that US/Canada VIN are different than UK and the rest of the world despite sharing 17 characters/digits. The US system uses this system and a check digit which is not used for UK/Rest of world VINs.

the link .pdf launches and may appear blank (zoom in to see text), which identifies VIN number codes for every Bloor onwards(?) Triumph model including the Rocket 3 codes below. The 4th, 5th and 6th digits on USA/Canada VINs and same codes on 6th, 7th and 8th digits on UK/rest of world like mine posted above for a 2010MY Australian sold Roadster ECU dated 12/2009 SMTTLC0235A432260

C00 = ROCKET III
C01 = ROCKET III CLASSIC
C02 - ROCKET III + ABS
C05 = ROCKET III TOURING
C06 = ROCKET III TOURING & ABS

Model year Alpha character in 10th alpha/digit for USA/Canada and the 11th for UK and rest of world. 2010 is A, 2011 B. 2012 C, etc to current 2018 J.

As @HansO advised the base tune is also different for 2010-2012 Roadsters and 2013 and later Roadsters. I am not aware of a further change to later Roadster base tunes but Hans should know.

I just bought a second hand 2016 Roadster ECU from the USA eBay for US$215 using the eBay 10% discount code PRESTO ;):D:thumbsup:
Link Removed

They had a good photo of the ECU part number and it does not show tune codes like earlier ECU's.

The VIN is USA/Canada: SMTC02L4XGJ730141
Part Number: T1290216
Tune: Not stated

@HansO I am wondering if putting this 2016 ECU inn my 2010 MY Roadster and re-setting with TuneECU will allow me to use later Roadster base tunes releasing the secondaries in lower gears?
Related info I just posted here

https://www.r3owners.net/threads/roadster-ecu.28867/

My ECU heeled over back in March 2013 (however Tuneboy maintained it was fine upon testing it....) and the new one didn't have to be unlocked.

I've a notion they introduced the locking thing in 2013 though.

Got a spare/new ECU last year and it did indeed need to be unlocked like yours.
I have the Triumph software though and their list of passwords :D
For ALL their models :D:D

Could've saved you a lot of bother if i was on here at time of thread ah well

So sorry to read of all your 'lectrical issues - I'd be in the funny farm with a mangled bike at home in my garage!
Now I be wondering if the "Dealer Tool" DealerTool diagnostic access to your ECU, for Triumph, Keihin and Sagem ECUs. Dealer Tool OBD and diagnostic interface for Daytona, 675, sprint, speed triple, bonneville, tiger, Rocket3, Rocket
many of us have purchased will unlock a new ECU???

a lot of the new or rebuilt ecu (car & truck) needs to have the vin# installed and mileage programmed in.
so if your tool will write the vin then it most likely will work:)

edit
i think they copy the vin# then paste in new ecu.

Can you tell us what the deal charged to get your ECM functional? Thanks.

a lot of the new or rebuilt ecu (car & truck) needs to have the vin# installed and mileage programmed in.
so if your tool will write the vin then it most likely will work:)

edit
i think they copy the vin# then paste in new ecu.

Herman,
Appreciate the response.
My Dealer Tool is keyed in on my VIN# and I don't see an opportunity to load mileage, so me reckons my Dealer Tool won't awaken a new ECU.
Oh well, hopefully it will never happen to me & if so, shall be a bridge I'll just have to cross.

Back