My Rocket is missing....

The miss developed very late last fall. Approx. 600 miles. The issue has become more pronounced.

Check all of your vacuum lines under the tank. I knock them loose so regularly that I can tell immediately if one is off or loose, but they will cause all kinds of weird idle and low speed problems. If they are completely off the check engine light should on and the ecu should be throwing a code which can be checked and cleared with TuneECU

The touring model has no tach so is it possible that the new with the new tune has you lugging the engine? 35 mph in 4th can't be more than 1000 rpm and the bike idles at 900? not very scientific I know but if accelerating fixes it then you're probably shifting to soon.

The touring model has no tach so is it possible that the new with the new tune has you lugging the engine? 35 mph in 4th can't be more than 1000 rpm and the bike idles at 900? not very scientific I know but if accelerating fixes it then you're probably shifting to soon.

I have given the impression that I'm riding my Rocket at stall speeds. That isn't a very good example. Better to explain it, at any speed under say, 90 mph, if I back off on the throttle to a steady throttle position just above idle, such as reducing speed into a town a miss and back firing occurs. This condition will continue until I increase the throttle. I have a throttle lock, (throttle miser) that if used virtually stops the condition. It was explained to me, that any slacking of the throttle makes the tips try to adjust. Issue!
I pulled the tank and found the vacuum hoses in good condition. All of you are bringing up great ideas, I do appreciate the help. It just gets frustrating.

35mph in 5th is around 1000rpm or just above it.

Chip you must have changed out the plugs so shortly after the misfire started. good. were the threads on the old plugs all free of aluminium oxide?
have you cleaned, recrimped and regreased the + & - connections on the coils?
HT leads all pushed down onto plugs real good?
i'd also be running the engine in the revs/throttle position where you know the misfire occurs, in a dark place and keep an ye out under the tank for tracking.
you could also remove the HT leads and check resistance.
I've had a MAP sensor fault thrown up before even though the vacuum tubes appeared fine, but the fault wouldnt clear so i checked the tubes a bit closer and found one was about 1mm off bottoming out on the joiner barb - pushed it on fully and fault cleared.
after that you could swap out a coil at a time with a known good one and see if the issue clears up.

35mph in 5th is around 1000rpm or just above it.

Chip you must have changed out the plugs so shortly after the misfire started. good. were the threads on the old plugs all free of aluminium oxide?
have you cleaned, recrimped and regreased the + & - connections on the coils?
HT leads all pushed down onto plugs real good?
i'd also be running the engine in the revs/throttle position where you know the misfire occurs, in a dark place and keep an ye out under the tank for tracking.
you could also remove the HT leads and check resistance.
I've had a MAP sensor fault thrown up before even though the vacuum tubes appeared fine, but the fault wouldnt clear so i checked the tubes a bit closer and found one was about 1mm off bottoming out on the joiner barb - pushed it on fully and fault cleared.
after that you could swap out a coil at a time with a known good one and see if the issue clears up.

I did change out the plugs right away. The plugs were close to new condition. I had a second set of eyes look at them also. I did recrimp the connections. Now comes the interesting part. I took apart every connection I could find. Some of which I have no clue to what they are! What I found was none of the connections looked lubed. I used good elec. grease on them all. I just got back from 25 mile ride. No misses. Still early here in Michigan, when I get a chance I'm going to drive to town and see what happens at slower speeds/rpms. Wouldn't it be great if it's as simple as greased connections?

oh yes hopefully that's it sorted so.. but if your luck is like mine she just teases you with running fine for a few minutes and then, just when you breathe a satisfied breath of relief thinking it's fixed... BOOM it happens and turns out it's not fixed :)

Back